Unanswered Question
May 2nd, 2008

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to answer all questions regarding the brand new ASR 1000 series routers designed for faster and easier deployment in Enterprise networks. Here is your chance to examine details of this platform series. Muhammad Afaq Khan is a technical marketing engineer with the Broadband, Edge and Midrange Routing Business Unit at Cisco Systems Inc. He has previously worked for Cisco Security/VPN Technical Assistance Center (TAC) teams for almost 4 years. He specializes on VPNs involving VPN3000, IOS, PIX FW and third party products. Afaq has represented Cisco in many Security/VPN seminars. He is a CCIE (#9070) in Routing & Switching and Security.

Remember to use the rating system to let Afaq know if you have received an adequate response.

Afaq might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through May 16, 2008. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
savyer Fri, 05/02/2008 - 20:24

Can you expound on SBC capabilities of the ASR platform? I am in particular interested to know how it stacks up against Acme Packet 9000 series.

afakhan Mon, 05/05/2008 - 20:37

Hi there,

Put it simply, ASR1000 is a Router with a highly scalable SBC implementation unlike Acme packet which is a product designed to only do SBC functions.

ASR1000 has, at this point, a distributed SBC implementation. Along with SBC function, it packs routing, security with superior HA, software modularity, and highly reselient under one sheet metal.

For further details, please point to:

asifali007 Mon, 05/12/2008 - 22:18

Dear Afaq,

We are looking for a Router for our small company (150 users). We have 6 branches which are connected to our head office. We have point to point wireless link. Our internet is also centralized. Please suggest a router (2800 or 3800) which can work for us longer.

bbaley Wed, 05/07/2008 - 08:55

Hi Afaq,

Can you tell me what are the major services that are integrated into Cisco ASR 1000 as opposed to having separate services modules?

afakhan Wed, 05/07/2008 - 09:24

Hi there,

Sure, almost all IOS services are accelerated using the Cisco QFP processor on ASR1000. So features such as Firewall, IPsec, NAT, GRE, QoS, NetFlow, MLPPP are few examples.

With this, there are no hidden costs involved (no modules for basic services ie,) and management is pretty easy. you get all hardware day one, and you turn on services instantly as time goes on - no truck rolls!

Very good question, and keep them coming!

thomas.chen Thu, 05/08/2008 - 10:15

Hi Afaq,

Please explain how Cisco QuantumFlow Processor (QFP) is integrated into Cisco ASR 1000?

afakhan Thu, 05/08/2008 - 21:38

Hi Thomas,

QFP is really the foundation technology behind the ASR1000 platform series. QFP sits right on the ESP (Embedded Services Processor) board. It is essentially a chip set, comprising of Packet processing cores and Traffic Manager for QoS functions off-load.

ashfaquekhan Thu, 05/08/2008 - 20:36

Dear Mr. Afaq,

We are interested in purchasing the router for our H.O. In future we want to connect our 4 / 5 offices remotely.

First of all tell me which router I have to purchase for my H.O. ?

We want to share our data, specially our running softwares in Foxpro.

In future we want to shift on ERP and till yet our management is not decided to go on Oracle or SAP, but very soon we have to shift on ERP.

Right now I want to use Router in our H.O. for LAN.

Can you guide me which router I can use ?

How we can choose any router for our requirements ? Is there any procedure to choose the router ?

Your guidance will be helpful for me.

Thanks N Best Regards

Ashfaque Khan

afakhan Thu, 05/08/2008 - 21:40

Yes, please gather the basic requirements for your network and then start your search here at:

Cisco ASR1000 is definitely the midrange router of choice for HQ/HO deployments requiring 5,10Gbps with services.

tenaro.gusatu.novici Tue, 05/13/2008 - 08:44

Hi there,

Can we use ASR as voice-gateway? What is the highest port density (how many DSPs/channels) that ASR can support (if any)? Is it supporting MGCP protocol?

Thanks in advance,

afakhan Thu, 05/15/2008 - 14:50

Hi Tenaro,

At this time,ASR1000 can only be used as SBC (distributed fashion), voice gw function will come in future releases along with DSPs.

hope that answers.

dhanikonda Wed, 05/14/2008 - 00:02

Dear experts,

Aim: To enable router to shift to next available route to a destination within 5 seconds. i.e to converge faster (within 5 seconds)

The priority of links is

1. Leased Line modem

3. VSAT ( satellite modem)

The ip routes are configured in router A is shown below

ip route static adjust-time 2

ip route 5

ip route 10

ip route 15

The ip routes are configured in router B is shown below

ip route 5

ip route 10

ip route 15

The last parameter indicate the Metric value of the AD value for the route.

The default value is 60 seconds.

Since we wanted to decrease the time for the routes to converge we set the value to 2 seconds, but the router is consuming 30 seconds for the changeover compared to the earlier 45-60 seconds.

What are alternate methods to decrease the changeover time?

What is the limitation of cisco 2821 router for fast changeover?

Are higher end routers capable of faster changeover ?if yes how fast?

What is the current technology limitation?

Plz give me the information

afakhan Thu, 05/15/2008 - 16:00

this should work as advertised for both direct next-hop or recursive. Extra delay will need to be debugged (via a debug command) to see what's happening to the traffic between 30 and 45 second time (15 seconds or so as you mentioned).

how are you testing the fail-over, i'd suggest to start with the PING traffic first, once baseline is established, move onto application traffic.

Obvious alternative is to use an IGP, and tune the hello/dead interval to smaller values. If you want to have sub-second failover, you can use BFD.

Enhanced Object Tracking (EOT) is also another way of achieving what you're trying to do, although less preferred over BFP/IGP.

ASR1000 has separate RP board (from forwarding), hence RP bounded functions remain isolated from forwarding plane and are extremely responsive compared to uni-processor designs.

hope that helps.

This Discussion