Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Communicator with Wireless & Ethernet NIC Card

mightyking
Level 6
Level 6

Hello Folks,

I configured my ethernet NIC card of my Laptop with CCM 5.1 for the use of IP Communicator. I was away and needed to use the IP Communicator. I used my wireless NIC card through a VPN connection and it worked. My question is how did this work? The only Mac Address configured in CallManager and associated with my office extension was the Ethernet Mac Address and not the wireless one. Could you please shade some lights on this and let me know how did this happeb to work?

11 Replies 11

mlitka
Level 2
Level 2

IP Communicator has two options when it comes to MAC addresses:

Under preferences > network :

1. Use Network Adapter to generate Device Name

You can then select which adapter to use to generate the device name for CM/CME.

2. Use this device name

You can manually set the device name to use.

Thanks for the reply Mlitka,

The network adaptor shows the SEP001560BDA42A which is the Mac address of my ethernet card but I am using my wireless card whith the following Mac adderss: 00166F4F08A2

The Mac address configured in the Callmanager is SEP001560BDA42A (Ethernet) with 8916 as the extension but now, I am using the wireless card which is not configured in the CCM. My question is how Callmanager associates the extension 8916 to a Mac address which is not even configured?

Thanks,

Please share if you have any idea.

Thanks,

It looks like I am the only one who noticed this issue. Could you please test it and let me know if I am wrong?

Post a screenshot of how you have your IP Communicator setup on the Network tab.

Here're some prints screen. As you can see only my Ethernet card is configured in the CCM. Although, I am using my wireless card throught the VPN but the ethernet card is registered with the CallManager. Does CallManager do any mapping or linkage btw the ethernet and wireless card?

Thanks,

mightking -

You will notice in the screenshot that it is using your wired NIC to GENERATE your device name. This doesn't mean that it is using your wired NIC to communicate. It is simply using that MAC address to generate the device name of SEP001560BDA42A. So while you are connected wirelessly it still registers with the CallManager using the device name of your wired NIC, per the option you have selected.

Tracy Larson
Level 4
Level 4

This actually worked? The IP communicator will actually come up and appear to work in this instance, what i have noticed when adding an ip communicator to the system and the user is typically connected via the LAN and i have not added in the mac address of the wireless nic on this particular machine is - the communicator will register up fine because routing to the call manager is still fine but when you make a phone call to someone, you will hear them but they will not hear you. Is this the case?

Not realy, I do have some quality issue but don't think this is because of what you just described. But the weird part for me is how the CCM decides to assign the extension 8916 to my IP Communicator using the wireless card which is not even configured in the CallManager?

Way back when i had a similar issue (this was on 4.1(3)) The IP Communicator will register up and assign the correct DID to your communicator just as everything is working correctly even though i did not have the wireless mac configured in the call manager. The only problem was what I had said before and that was i could hear them but they could not hear me at all. I am at a loss now that you say you have full duplex communications from A to B. Are you using the cisco VPN client? I am not aware of any cisco software that would take the layer 2 mac information from your lan and wireless hardware and treat them as one but that is what it sounds like is happening so to speak.

rcrumm_2
Level 2
Level 2

King,

I am researching QOS and different NICs.

Anyway look at this link...it says the NIC entered must be enabled not necessarily active

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cipc/2_0/english/administration/guide/CADnet.html#wp1107526

hth,

Randall

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: