Rollover connection

Unanswered Question
May 4th, 2008
User Badges:


I would like to ask which application I can use from a notebook to a router if i use a rollover connection for console.

Basically my situation is as follows:

I have an IBM T43 Thinkpad. It has no DB-9 connection. It has an LPT, network, wifi, modem & USB connections.

I need to connect to routers and switches console port to configure and do troubleshooting on the routers and switches. I know a rollover cable can be used to connect to switch & router consoles. But I need to plug the other end into my notebook. I am not sure if it is a good idea to plug the other end into the ethernet port as that doesn't make sense to me to do something like that.

Will i have to get a notebook with a DB-9 connection? Or is there a way around this problem other than having to buy a converter adapter?

Many Thanks


  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
willemvwyk Sun, 05/04/2008 - 14:06
User Badges:

Hi Sam

Thank you for the response :)

I just want clarification. Do I understand you correctly if I say I can plug the one end of my rollover cable into my ethernet port and the other end into my cisco console port?

Please bear in mind (as I mentioned above) I have no COMx port on my thinkpad. So I cannot use DB-9 connectors.

JORGE RODRIGUEZ Sun, 05/04/2008 - 14:52
User Badges:
  • Green, 3000 points or more

It is correct that you can use a rollover cable but in your case you do not have a COM port, you need a USB to RS232 converter cable, you can use this on any USB port that is version 1 or 2 complient. On the RS232 end you then can use the regular cisco console cable.

paolo bevilacqua Sun, 05/04/2008 - 15:23
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

    Founding Member

Hi, just get an USB to serial adapter, or a PC card with serial connection.

When working on cisco products, you cannot do without a serial port.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Richard Burts Sun, 05/04/2008 - 18:08
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

    Founding Member

  • Cisco Designated VIP,

    2017 LAN, WAN


Just to emphasize the previous responses - do NOT plug your rollover cable into your Ethernet interface. Ethernet will certainly not work for this. What you need is a converter for USB to serial/COM. There are several of them that are available.




This Discussion