Views
Helpful
Replies

Rollover connection

willemvwyk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I would like to ask which application I can use from a notebook to a router if i use a rollover connection for console.

Basically my situation is as follows:

I have an IBM T43 Thinkpad. It has no DB-9 connection. It has an LPT, network, wifi, modem & USB connections.

I need to connect to routers and switches console port to configure and do troubleshooting on the routers and switches. I know a rollover cable can be used to connect to switch & router consoles. But I need to plug the other end into my notebook. I am not sure if it is a good idea to plug the other end into the ethernet port as that doesn't make sense to me to do something like that.

Will i have to get a notebook with a DB-9 connection? Or is there a way around this problem other than having to buy a converter adapter?

Many Thanks

willemvw

5 Replies 5

cisco_lad2004
Level 5
Level 5

u can use Hyperterminal, its under accessories , communication.

Try COMx, where x may vary from 1-5 ( depending on ur notebook).

set bits to 9600, data bits 8, parity none, stop bits1, flow control HW.

http://www.petri.co.il/csc_how_to_use_hyperterminal_with_cisco_routers_and_switches.htm

HTH

Sam

Hi Sam

Thank you for the response :)

I just want clarification. Do I understand you correctly if I say I can plug the one end of my rollover cable into my ethernet port and the other end into my cisco console port?

Please bear in mind (as I mentioned above) I have no COMx port on my thinkpad. So I cannot use DB-9 connectors.

It is correct that you can use a rollover cable but in your case you do not have a COM port, you need a USB to RS232 converter cable, you can use this on any USB port that is version 1 or 2 complient. On the RS232 end you then can use the regular cisco console cable.

http://www.emtcompany.com/products/adapters/dxubdb9-usb-to-serial-db9-adapter-cable.htm?gclid=CJmhzI72jZMCFRCCGgodtGKBgA

Jorge Rodriguez

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, just get an USB to serial adapter, or a PC card with serial connection.

When working on cisco products, you cannot do without a serial port.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

willemvw

Just to emphasize the previous responses - do NOT plug your rollover cable into your Ethernet interface. Ethernet will certainly not work for this. What you need is a converter for USB to serial/COM. There are several of them that are available.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card