Views
Helpful
Replies

Rollover connection

willemvwyk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I would like to ask which application I can use from a notebook to a router if i use a rollover connection for console.

Basically my situation is as follows:

I have an IBM T43 Thinkpad. It has no DB-9 connection. It has an LPT, network, wifi, modem & USB connections.

I need to connect to routers and switches console port to configure and do troubleshooting on the routers and switches. I know a rollover cable can be used to connect to switch & router consoles. But I need to plug the other end into my notebook. I am not sure if it is a good idea to plug the other end into the ethernet port as that doesn't make sense to me to do something like that.

Will i have to get a notebook with a DB-9 connection? Or is there a way around this problem other than having to buy a converter adapter?

Many Thanks

willemvw

5 Replies 5

cisco_lad2004
Level 5
Level 5

u can use Hyperterminal, its under accessories , communication.

Try COMx, where x may vary from 1-5 ( depending on ur notebook).

set bits to 9600, data bits 8, parity none, stop bits1, flow control HW.

http://www.petri.co.il/csc_how_to_use_hyperterminal_with_cisco_routers_and_switches.htm

HTH

Sam

Hi Sam

Thank you for the response :)

I just want clarification. Do I understand you correctly if I say I can plug the one end of my rollover cable into my ethernet port and the other end into my cisco console port?

Please bear in mind (as I mentioned above) I have no COMx port on my thinkpad. So I cannot use DB-9 connectors.

It is correct that you can use a rollover cable but in your case you do not have a COM port, you need a USB to RS232 converter cable, you can use this on any USB port that is version 1 or 2 complient. On the RS232 end you then can use the regular cisco console cable.

http://www.emtcompany.com/products/adapters/dxubdb9-usb-to-serial-db9-adapter-cable.htm?gclid=CJmhzI72jZMCFRCCGgodtGKBgA

Jorge Rodriguez

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, just get an USB to serial adapter, or a PC card with serial connection.

When working on cisco products, you cannot do without a serial port.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

willemvw

Just to emphasize the previous responses - do NOT plug your rollover cable into your Ethernet interface. Ethernet will certainly not work for this. What you need is a converter for USB to serial/COM. There are several of them that are available.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card