cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting a Ring Network

chengliNG
Level 1
Level 1

what should i do to setting up a ring network??

6 Replies 6

cisco_lad2004
Level 5
Level 5

if u mean what you should look out for ?

I would say loops, SPT, L2 issues preventions.

I am sorry for teh short reply, but your question is a bit vague.

Sam

chengliNG
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for u reply ...

Actually i would like to set a loop network in my factory. But i found that when i plug in 2 connector(A & B) to a switch(Dlink ethernet switch). Collision happened.

A is forward

B is rearward

what should i do?? According to internet, i found that spanning tree can handle the problem but is it just available for cisco's network switch??

Spanning tree protocol is the usual solution for supporting physically looping Ethernet switches. This provides an alternate path(s) so that if an active path link or device fails, network traffic can still move around.

Cisco offers many variants of spanning tree on the many of their manageable (i.e. where you can connect and configure) switches. Other vendors also usually support at least some of the standard variants on their manageable switches. Proprietor variants normally will only function between same vendor switches (often doesn't have to be exact same models); standard variants will usually interoperate between different vendors hardware. (Note the word usually.)

Spec sheets for the switch should note what variants of spanning tree are supported.

Actuaclly, in my factory have lots of types of vendor switchs.Like Dlink, Cnet and so on.

buddy, so do u have any idea or suggestion for me to implement the loop network??

For the spanning tree. i totally dont know and how to start setting and cofigure.

Besides that, is it router must required to implement spanning tree??

"Besides that, is it router must required to implement spanning tree??"

No, although with routers you can also define multiple paths through networks, though not using spanning tree. May not be any easier within your current network and would likely require readdressing many of your devices.

Depending on what your physical topology is, if it is one large ring, you might be able to insert just one spanning tree switch within the ring. This should block one side of the new switch unless there's a break in the ring on the other side.

If you have a star topology, two spanning tree switches could be used and connected to each other. Ideally with each existing switch having one link to each of the new spanning tree switches.

I.e., you might be able to provide spanning tree redundancy at the cost of just one or two new switches. (Note: such switches are likely to be more expensive than the those you've been purchasing.)

Other connection topologies are possible; too many variables to describe without seeing your existing topology.

As to how to configure, if you're not a network person, it might be advisable to contract with an external company or contractor with the experience for such configurations. It's not difficult, but if you have no experience performing network device configurations, having someone explain or show you the first time would help, especially since there are different variants of the spanning tree protocols and how they are activated often varies between vendors and sometimes even between vendor models.

Actually, i m fresh graduate from college. and i also major in computer science n learn cisco before.because of the request of boss, that why i need to carry out this tasks(setting loop network).

Beides that, i also hope i can learn more from here. Whatever,Thanks a lot to everyone. if possible i will take ur advise to ask my boss to get help from outsider.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card