Helpful
Replies

data center network design considerations - static route

xh_liu
Level 1
Level 1

data center network should be simple.

I think you agree with this.

so i think data center netowrk should use staic route first, and i think static route is enough for data center network.

staic route with hsrp and firewall(failover) can get high availablity.

i always persuade my customer use staic route, not dynamic routing protocol.

i think staic route is more simple and ease use than dynamic routing protocol.

data center network should be steady, simple netowkr is more steady, ease maintenance.

so i think data center network should use staic route first.

and the second question:

do you want data center firewall running dynamic routing protocol like ospf?

i think data center firewall must use staic route. because data center firewall running dynamic routing protocol is not steady, i think more software bug or other question exist if firewall running dynamic routing protocol.

do you think so?

so my data center network desigh opinion is:

data center network should use staic route.

static w/ hsrp and firewall failover can get high availability.

data center firewall should use staic route, not dynamic routing protocol.

firewall runing dynamic routing protocol is not a good idea.

is there any data center network desigh guideline or principle (especially routing protocol choice, firewall running mode)?

how about your opinion?

thank you.

17 Replies 17

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Try reading some the SRND's. They provide excellent insight to design, high availabilty, security, etc.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns656/networking_solutions_design_guidances_list.html

thanks.

i think data center network design should use:

1. static route

2. static route running in firewall.

3. data center WAN part use bgp.

how do you think about data center network routing protocol choice?

thanks a lot!

In my opinion, it depends on the network. I have some clients where I have to use a routing protocol in the firewall. In the core, I almost always use an IGP, but again, there are some customers where that does not work. Every network is different and every one requires 'design' work and thought. You posted that a routing protocol in a firewall is unstable. Can you elaborate on your experiences with that?

your mean that you use routing protocol in the firewall in some data center network?

we must know what requirement is data center network. i think data center network should be more stable, more easy maintenance, easy troubleshooting and so on.

I have used a routing protocol in a firewall and I have used a routing protocol in the core of a network. I agree that a DC should be stable, well designed, redundant, etc, but that does not necessarily equate to static routes. Static routes in a medium sized network is an administrative nightmare and does not scale well. Also, static routes do not react to link failures very well!

In my D/C we have Dynamic RP for the core, and connections to remote sites. Static routes point to the internet and specific area's of the D/C that should not be visable via dynamic routing. I also have policy routing - for layer 2 pt-pt circuits connecting my primary D/C to my secondary, as I do not want dynamic routing over those links, just certain types of communication betwen subnets.

JMTPW

first we must satify network requirement: high availability, no single point failure, and quick convergence.

static route with hsrp and firewall with failover can get it.

routing protocol choice is flexible.

i choose ospf for cisco catalyst 65 osa-e connection with ibm mainframe.

but i just use dynamic routing protocol for special part of data center network.

i just want to know what is the order or weight when you choose routing protocol in data center network.

for high availability - I run HSRP.

No single point of failure - I have redundant etherchannels between core and distribution.

Quick convergence - I have manually configured STP root's and secondarys. I also run RPVST

I have a failover pair of PIX535's - with a static route point to the inside IP of the failover pair, if one fails, the other picks up. I have also configured statefull failover - so no connections are lost.

We run EIGRP - mainly from legacy networks, but it runs smooth. We have tweaked the hello/hold timeres, to 1 and 3. We also summarise out to the remote sites (no need to fill up routiong tables, just takes cpu cycles)

All routing protocols have their merits - you just need to choose one you are comfortable with, that you can troublshoot and you know really well. I don't think it's a good idea to implement a routing protocol in a D/C that you are not 100% with.

HTH.

Hi,

Sorry to intreput you guys....

Quick convergence - I have manually configured STP root's and secondarys. I also run RPVST

I need configuration/commands like what need to be done for above mentioned point..IS below mentioned config is enough or Anything needs to done..

CORE1:

STP PRIMARY:

spanningtree vlan 10 prioty 8192

RPVST:

spanningtree mode RPVST+

spannning uplinkfast

spanning backbonefast etc..

Regards

sateesh

Yes - if you only want CORE1 to be the spanningtree root for vlan 10.

Hi,

If you have any config pertain to datacenter...pls paste it..

Regards

sateesh

Sateesh,

Like what exactly? I have 25 network devices in one of my D/C's - what config lines out of 1000+ lines of config would you like me to post?

You are going about this the wrong way - do you have a D/C? are you planning a D/C?

I suggest you read the below - it should answer most of the questions:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns340/ns394/ns224/networking_solutions_packages_list.html

HTH>

Hi..

Thanks for URL...

I am not asking entire config..Only I need spannning tree related commands as I am planning design the datacenter...

I am planning to design the network without loops...I am bothering about spaningtree commands only...

Regards

sateesh

Sateesh,

OK - a basic spanningtree loop free topology that consists of 2 core switches and loads of other switches...I would configure like this:-

CoreSW-1

spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst

spanning-tree extend system-id

spanning-tree vlan 1-1024 priority 8192

CoreSW-2

spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst

spanning-tree extend system-id

spanning-tree vlan 1-1024 priority 16384

In your distribution and access layer switches you need to be carefull with what you connect. If you plan to have all ports "spanning-tree" portfast - then you need to config the below:-

spanning-tree portfast bpduguard default

For the basics - the above will sort you out.

HTH>

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: