Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4507 Restarts automaticaly

Hi all,

I have one 4507R switch at distribution.since last 2-3 days it is getting restarted automatically.when I saw the logs nothing significant.

00:00:03: %C4K_REDUNDANCY-6-INIT: Initializing as ACTIVE supervisor

00:00:23: %SPANTREE-5-EXTENDED_SYSID: Extended SysId enabled for type vlan

00:00:24: %C4K_IOSMODPORTMAN-6-MODULEONLINE: Module 1 (WS-X4516-10GE S/N: JAB094000CT Hw: 2.1) is online

00:00:24: %C4K_IOSMODPORTMAN-6-MODULEONLINE: Module 3 (WS-X4418-GB S/N: JAE0946Q3QU Hw: 1.2) is online

00:00:24: %C4K_IOSMODPORTMAN-6-MODULEONLINE: Module 4 (WS-X4418-GB S/N: JAE1041D4L7 Hw: 1.3) is online

*May 3 10:48:22: %SYS-6-CLOCKUPDATE: System clock has been updated from 07:48:22 UTC Sat May 3 2008 to 10:48:22 DST Sat May 3 2008, configured from console by console.

*May 3 10:48:24: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console

*May 3 10:48:24: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --

Cisco IOS Software, Catalyst 4000 L3 Switch Software (cat4000-I9K91S-M), Version 12.2(25)EWA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Fri 23-Sep-05 13:24 by ssearch

*May 3 10:48:24: %SNMP-5-COLDSTART: SNMP agent on host BD-COMMON-4507-1 is undergoing a cold start

It says the clock is updated from console by console.Whereas nobody did anything.Once the clock is updated it restarts.

Another problem is when it restarts each time the uplinks connected to the access switches goes down & it doesnt come up. By changing to another port only the link comes up.

Can anybody advise what could be the reason ? And why the uplinks go down after each restart.

Thanks in Advance

Sachi

5 Replies 5

sabgato130
Level 1
Level 1

If it does automatically reboot by itself and its not power/electrical or environment related then,

1. how old is the catalyst in production-you might need check your CMOS or first do a thorough hardware maintenance.By this it might mean sure signs of hardware failure.

2. i might not have too much explanation on the uplink cause I am assuming everything was working prior to your troubles albeit seamlessly.It still could be pointig to an hardware degradation that needs detecting.

HTH

regards,

Shams

Hi Shams,

Thanks for response.

The switch is only 4 years old. Do u think u need a hardware maintance.If so how recomend to do it. Can u pls explain me in details.

Dont you think its any IOS issue.

Thanks again in advance

Sachi

1. yes that is also another possible option.

judging by the age it should not be developing such problems so early.You try re-imaging the device possibly if there is an upgrade to which it conforms with in terms of basic flash and DRAM requirements.maybe just download a fresh one or if u have another 45xx dat can be used u can tftp from there or replace as a whole.

2.By h/w maintenance- you might hv to consider a minimal downtime as this needs to be done when the device is powered down (best practice).

You would need a blower or a vacuum to clear away all clogs(if any) of dust,etc.

I wouldn't recommend opening d device as your warranty/support might be voided by cisco.

3.Thirdly, if problems persist..open up a TAC case...maybe you might be looking at getting a stop gap issue from cisco in earnest.

regards

cisco_lad2004
Level 5
Level 5

use "sh platform crashdump" to see if there are more info on the reboot. it might be a crash due to a SUP or IOS.

most of my 4510R when crashed, SUP was to blame.

in few cases, I noticed some commands crashed the box. this was resolved by uploading a newer IOS with bug fixes.

HTH

Sam

Actually I got a feild notice which says this is bcoz of the SDRAM degradation.A specific range of hardware verson & S/R no. is affected by this & sup coming under this.

Solution is to replace the SDRAM & upgrade the image (existing(12.2 (25) EWA-4) higher than 12.2(31) SGA

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/ts/fn/620/fn62479.html

Thanks guys for ur quick response

Sachi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card