cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 Password Recovery Issue

QuikeyMan_2
Level 1
Level 1

I had two Cat. 3750 switches that I needed to perform the password recovery on. I used the guide from Cisco listed below. The first switch went as expected without any issues. However, I ran into an issue with the second switch. At step 10. where you are supposed to go into enabled mode, I keep being prompted for a password. This switch is actually 2 cat. 3750's that are stacked. Is there anything about a stacked switch that could cause issues when performing a password recovery?

Cisco guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

13 Replies 13

I appreciate the response, but the guide you suggested will take me through the same procedure that I had listed above.

The OP implied that you were performing the password recovery on each stack member individually. In order to recover a stack you power off the stack and then perform the recovery on one of the members. After reloading you power on the rest of the stack.

My mistake then. So the answer to my question would be:

you need to power off all switches in the stack, and then perform the password recovery as you typically would, using the master.

Yes. When the master comes back up post recovery the other switches, during boot, will download the post recovery config and all should be well.

I attempted the password recovery today, this team only turning on the master switch, but I was still prompted for a password when going into enabled mode.

I would recommend running the password recovery on each switch individually. After you perform the recovery you can stack them back to the original configuration.

Mark

That won't change anything. He just needs to get the change made on the would-be stack master and then the rest will follow when they come up.

OP: I don't understand when/where you're getting this password prompt, which steps have you completed in the 3750 recovery guide to get this prompt? Look closely at your line and aaa config and make sure they're set to let you log in after you reboot the switch. If you want, post in the config after you've done the copy flash:config.text system:running-config in step 9

The concept is that you have a file (config.text) with the passwords (or the AAA/line config) in it and you want to ignore that file so you can get into enable mode. This is why you rename the config.text file. Then after you get there you can copy the previous config (containing the errant config) to the running config so that you can make changes to it. These changes could entail changing the line config, enable password/secret, a username/password pair or the AAA config. You have to figure out which is causing the login problem. Then you save your running config changes to the startup config and after you reboot you should be back in business.

As stated before, I am hung up at step 10. I cannot enter enabled mode upon rebooting to rename config.old back to config.text to then overwrite the running-config with the config in flash:.

By the guide, you should already be in enable mode at step 10. You go into enable at step 7.

Yes, when the switch sees that config.text is missing it will create a new blank one.

Edit: Step 10 in the recovery guide that I posted, not the general one you linked.

I am not trying to be rude, but could just read step 10. At step 10 you are supposed to be able to enter enabled mode without being prompted for a password.

It's OK, you're not being rude :-)

I posted an edit to my post stating that you should be in enable at step 7 in the guide that I linked. I think that somehow a step is being missed here. If you've renamed (not copied) config.text and then booted the switch there shouldn't be a config on the thing to prompt you for a password.

I believe I may have over looked something... I just checked the contents of flash: there is now config.old and config.text. Will the switch make a copy of the running-config to flash: on a reboot if flash:config.text is not found?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: