Views
Helpful
Replies

Mesh implementation in warehouse with 1240AG APs

ptavares
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.

Since I converted my infrastructure from autonomous (1 Root Bridge and 5 non-root) to mesh, I'm experiencing a lot's of problems with wifi performance. (it's true that the first scenario was not perfect, but..)

The scenario is:

All APs are 1240AG model and the WLC is 4402 with 4.1.192.17M version.

All AP's have omni antennas for 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz (6dbi and 5dbi).

The building is an Warehouse .

The user's complaints are:

Slow network file access;

Constant drop in Navision client communications.

Design Note:

1 RootAP (RAP) in one edge of the building

All the other APs (5) are PAP and they are distributed within the warehouse.

Question:

Since I'm in the process of learning, I still have a lots of questions, but for now I have this one:

If I connect one of the PAP (in the middle of the warehouse) to the wired lan, it is possible to use it as an better route to the WLC, like a second RAP?

If not, how can I configure a second segment within the same controller so I can have another RootAP/RAP?

Thanks.

Pedro

3 Replies 3

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

Many Questions:

Since the APs are in a building and you are able to get power to them, why use a mesh instead of standard AP connectivity in which each AP connects to the infrastructure?

Are you using the 5 GHz for backhaul? You may want to consider directional antennae to have the PAPs point to the RAP.

Yes, you can connect another PAP to the infrastructure and yes, it will improve things quite a bit. In fact, multiple RAPs make the mesh self-healing in terms of hop-count, performance, fault-tolerance in the event of loss of a rap, etc. If you have only one RAP and it goes away, there is no connection to the wired infrastructure any more.

Since the 1240s, support PoE, and you are able to get a power line to it, then you should be able to get a data line to it as well - granted, it may require pulling some cable, but it is possible.

I would do the following at a minimum:

Add another RAP or two.

Add and aim directional antennae for backhaul, keeping in mind locations of RAPS.

Do a site survey to determine coverage, thru-put, interference, and hop count.

Ideally, I would not go with a mesh solution if I could get a wire to each AP, but that is my preference.

Hello ericgarnel,

wow, thats a really fast response. Thanks for that.

ericgarnel>Since the APs are in a building and you are able to get power to them, why use a mesh instead of standard AP connectivity in which each AP connects to the infrastructure?

ptavares>The building layout is an triangle. all edges distance more that 100 meters from each other. since I didn't design this project, the best I could make in the past was put one cable in the middle of this 'triangle'. It was the main location of the Root Bridge in the first implementation scenario. All other locations only have power cables. (it was designed this way :( )

ericgarnel>Are you using the 5 GHz for backhaul? You may want to consider directional antenna to have the PAPs point to the RAP.

ptavares> Yes, the mesh is using 5Ghz for backhaul and replacing the antennas could be a good option. I'm thinking on 5Ghz diverse antennas, what do you thing?

Ps: I can attach an image with the building layout, if you wish.

Thanks for the other tips.

I forgot this:

The is one cisco document saying that can only exist one RAP per segment. How this applies to your tip?

ptavares
Level 1
Level 1

I've attached an image with the actual equipment position within the facility.

some note:

The APMESH04-PAV7 have the 2.4Ghz antenna inside PAV7 zone (near wall) and the 5Ghz in PAV6 zone (I've made an hole from PAV7 to PAV6 and there is no aditional cable).

The APMESH05-PAV have the 2.4Ghz antenna in PAV2 zone and the 5Ghz antenna in PAV6 Zone. Like the above one, I've made and hole in the wall from PAV2 to PAV6.

The APROOT01-PAV5, have one 2.4Ghz antenna and two 5Ghz antennas in diversity mode.

Thank you very much.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card