cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure more than 9 alternate extensions

thomuff
Level 3
Level 3

I am trying to add a 10th alternate extension because it says that the subscriber with the correct COS can add five more extensions. I verified the COS. I login into the Cisco Personal Communication Assistant, go under prefrences, Personal. In this window, it only allow me to add alternate devices. Can anyone explain this to me. I am running Unity 4.05

Thanks

10 Replies 10

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Thomas,

In this case "Alternate Device" means the same as Alternate Extension. Should work just fine if added here :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

It doesn't work. I says that the following

Error saving personal options - This Alternate Device Number is too short: 60600. The minimum number of characters an Alternate Device Number must contain is: 10

Unity 7.01 EFT gets around the 10 digit rule by using a transfer rule that you can set the digits to whatever number you want.

I used 4

I looked in Unity 4.2.1 and that transfer rule is not there yet so 4.05 will not have it either and I am not sure how it is tied together.

Sounds like you either need to enter 10 digits or open a case with TAC.

rlp

You both are right.

PCPA or the TUI in some versions you can add 5 more alternate extensions if you have the right COS. 9 through the SA.

rlp

CPCA sorry

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Thomas,

Just to add a note here to the good info from Randy. You probably want to look at these settings;

Alternate extensions cannot exceed 30 characters in length. By default, each administrator-defined alternate extension must be at least 3 characters in length, while subscriber-defined alternate extensions must be at least 10 characters.

You can use the Advanced Settings tool in Tools Depot to specify a minimum extension length for the extensions entered in the Cisco Unity Administrator and the Cisco Unity Assistant. Refer to the Advanced Settings Tool Help for details on using the settings. Respectively, the settings are Administration-Set the Minimum Length for Locations, and Administration-Set the Minimum Length for Subscriber-Defined Alternate Extensions.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/404/administration/guide/ex/sag0170.html#wp1150594

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob I didn't know about the Subscriber-Defined Alternate Extensions in the advanced settings tool.

I just used AST if I wanted 2 digit extensions for an older pbx.

Good catch.

rlp

Hey Randy,

Good stuff my friend! Thanks for the nice nod :)

Cheers!

Rob

That is good info. I will give it a try. Thank you,

Hi Thomas,

You are most welcome! I hope this worked for you.

One other note here, if you have a lot of DN's that need to share a Mailbox, you can configure a special VM Profile in CCM that points to this mailbox.

Then on the phones that need to share the VM go to;

Device>Phone>Directory Number Configuration>Directory Number Settings>Voice Mail Profile

and assign the "new" VM Profile. When calls forward from this number into Unity they will receive the appropriate greeting :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: