cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

network teaming

bsudol79p
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I would like to setup network teaming on my servers, can anyone tell me what has to be done on a switch or the ports. All I can think of is that the ports should be on the same vlan. Thanks

4 Replies 4

williamsdo
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, dont know much about this service, we dont run it on our network. I know it is available on Cisco, check out the link below for more info. HTH

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/win_os/driver/team_244.html

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

I'm not sure what kind of equipment you have. Here is an example of a port channel to a team NIC.

interface Port-channel2

switchport

switchport access vlan 31

interface GigabitEthernet5/29

description server link 1

speed 1000

duplex full

no cdp enable

channel-group 2 mode on

spanning-tree portfast

interface GigabitEthernet5/30

description server link 2

speed 1000

duplex full

no cdp enable

channel-group 2 mode on

spanning-tree portfast

l.mourits
Level 5
Level 5

Your switch config and teaming setup have to be in sync, that is where this boils down to.

If you set your teaming config for channeling, see the reply on how to configure the port channel. This config is typically used when the two teaming interfaces connect to the same switch or switch stack.

If you set it for fault tolerance, there is no need to configure a port channel on your switch, as STP will block one port. This config is typically used when teaming interfaces connect to different/redundant switches.

Configs not in sync may cause issues and your teaming to fail.

HTH,

Leo

Hi,

A while back someone asked the same question. Please see this link. On most servers it is the teaming software on the server performs teaming of 2 LAN interfaces. On the switch ports make sure to have the same VLANs if you have vlans in place. And let us know if you need any further help.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40.2cbec306/4#selected_message

HTH

Shaheen

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card