Will IPX Run under VRF

Unanswered Question
May 6th, 2008

Currently Have IPX in network and wondering if it will run under a vrf forwarding enabled interface. Have VRF for remote sites under the router EIGRP configuration and they which has Netware servers using SAP. This is to be for a site which has not been turned up yet but does it sound feasible using VRG knowing the chatty nature of IPX/Netware servers?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Giuseppe Larosa Tue, 05/06/2008 - 08:43

Hello dale,

I don't think you can support IPX directly on PE VRF access interfaces.

However if you have CE routers you can build a mesh of GRE tunnels (CE to CE) carrying inside the IPX traffic.

I was able some years ago to do this for CLNS traffic carried inside GRE tunnels and with IS-IS for CLNS running over it.

You may face some MTU trouble but you should be able to fix it.

hope to help

Giuseppe

dalephillips Tue, 05/06/2008 - 09:35

thanks Giuseppe I think my best option then would be to use separate routers then so I don't have to bother with the VRF because all of my configuration in on 1 7206VXR. We were going to try using VRF to separate the inside and outside(public addresses)with a firewall inbetween just using one router to save money but looks like we probably should just spend the money and physically have a firewall beteen and Internet router and the inside network.

Actions

This Discussion