cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will IPX Run under VRF

dalephillips
Level 1
Level 1

Currently Have IPX in network and wondering if it will run under a vrf forwarding enabled interface. Have VRF for remote sites under the router EIGRP configuration and they which has Netware servers using SAP. This is to be for a site which has not been turned up yet but does it sound feasible using VRG knowing the chatty nature of IPX/Netware servers?

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello dale,

I don't think you can support IPX directly on PE VRF access interfaces.

However if you have CE routers you can build a mesh of GRE tunnels (CE to CE) carrying inside the IPX traffic.

I was able some years ago to do this for CLNS traffic carried inside GRE tunnels and with IS-IS for CLNS running over it.

You may face some MTU trouble but you should be able to fix it.

hope to help

Giuseppe

thanks Giuseppe I think my best option then would be to use separate routers then so I don't have to bother with the VRF because all of my configuration in on 1 7206VXR. We were going to try using VRF to separate the inside and outside(public addresses)with a firewall inbetween just using one router to save money but looks like we probably should just spend the money and physically have a firewall beteen and Internet router and the inside network.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: