cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 851 Router - Initial setup

lamypotts
Level 1
Level 1

I have connected the router using the network cable provided to a PC (cable is in lowest numbered LAN port)

I turned on PC and Router and the PC was set to obtain IP automatically - and it adjusted its usual IP of 172.x.x.x to 192.168.1.1 assigned by DHCP so i assume this is the router :)

I then put in the CD provided with teh router in the PC and first tried "First time router setup" - It gave me a simple diagram to connect router to PC and asks to click on "launch cisco SDM express" - This does not appear to work and receive a "page cannot be displayed message"

i decided to then leave that for a minute and instead of clicking "first time router setup" select "install SDM" i installed the software to PC. It did give the option for PC , router or both - i tried both first but i didnt know the username and pass (is there a default one?!?!)

the software installed fine - i ran the launch SDM icon on desktop. It asks for "device IP address or Hostname" so i select 10.10.10.1 fromt he dropdown (is this right/default?)

I don't tick the "this device has HTTPS enabled and i want to use it" as i dont know if it has and if it didnt i do not know how to change this.

I click launch and receive the following error

- unable to launch SDM due to one of more of the following reasons

1) The IP address or hostname is not a valid router address or is not reachable

2) HTTP/HTTPS is disabled on the router - SDM requires HTTP or HTTPS to be enabled on the router. If you are running HTTP or HTTPS on a custom port, specify the port number along with the device IP address or hostname (e.g. 10.10.10.1:<port number>

Any idea's what the problem is? Seems like i have fallen at the first hurdle.

Thanks

Chris

1 Reply 1

lamypotts
Level 1
Level 1

Replying to my own message :)

How very confusing - all of this was fixed by simply a factory reset. After that the router gave my PC an IP of 10.10.10.2 with default gateway of .1

Quick question - how difficult is it to set up VPN on the cisco 851 to some-one whos know a bit about computers but ZERO knowledge of cisco. I'm hoping this SDM software can do it all for me?

Regards

Chris

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card