cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.0 to 5.0 upgrade question

ahab
Level 1
Level 1

I am upgrading Unity 4.0 to a new server running 5.0. I cannot for the life of me find the documents I need to get my settings(subscribers etc) migrated to the new box. Can someone point me to the install/deployment guides?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

easy way would be to use DIRT, install 4.x on new server, reinstall and then upgrade to 5.x

COBRAS might be an option

HTH

javalenc

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

Would it also be possible to upgrade existing to 5.0 and then run Dirt to move it over? I do not think I have the software for 4.0 any more

DIRT can only restore on the same version from which the backup is, you can try COBRAS

HTH

javalenc

HTH

java

COBRAS is still not supported by TAC so if there is trouble you are in trouble.

rlp

Hi -

If you have the Unity 5.X software, yes you can upgrade your current server from 4.x to 5.x. Then build a new 5.x on the new server with a demo copy of Unity and test it with a few accounts. You will need a 5.x upgrade license for your current server and a new 5.x license for the new server MAC. Run DiRT backup of the upgraded 5.x server and unplug from the network. DiRT restore to the new 5.x server. P.S. It's not as easy as I say in this post, it will require some prep work like building a new integration on CallManager, voicemail profile etc. and you will get duplicate Unity DLs in your domain, like the All Subscribers, Unaddressed Messages, because you are not deinstalling Unity from the upgraded server first; but these can be cleaned up after the fact. I did a similar migration to a new server on Unity 4.0(3). Careful planning and a good implementation and recovery document, plus engaging Cisco TAC and my local Cisco office before the change window helped make this successful.

Ginger

Ginger

We are going to upgrade our current server from 4.x to 5.x and then restore to the new 5.x server. will this bring ALL info over (passwords, recorded names, greetings ect.)

Most Unity data is saved in this process. This includes all subscriber data, call handlers, interviewers, voice names, greetings, passwords, switch configuration information, etc… optionally you can backup report data and in the case of an Exchange based system, subscriber messages as well. Only a few specific items and settings are not preserved during the restore process. See the next section for those.

NOTE: While switch configuration information stored in the switch.INI files is saved, it is not restored onto the system. The data is in the original backed up files in case TAC needs to get to it. Since switch configuration can and does change between back up and restore (i.e. when moving systems) the local switch configuration needs to be configured and will not be restored. UTIM configuration data stored in the database is NOT backed up or restored.

NOTE: In 4.1(1) and later, the passwords entered during the password hardening wizard on the new installation (the one you will be restoring over) are used for ALL subscriber templates that are restored. This is to ensure that passwords which may not have been "hard" on the backed up system do not cause failures in the AD/Exchange account creation process during restore.

in here you can see what's and what's not backed up

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/HelpFiles/DiRT/index.html

HTH

javalenc

HTH

java

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: