cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Line\Device Approach question in CM6 setup

jonathanwalton
Level 1
Level 1

I'm setting up a new Call Manager 6 cluster, and I'm organizing the route patterns and calling search spaces to my liking. I'm following the SRND for CM6 and I had a question about the “Line/Device Approach” documented in section 10-90, specifically the figure on page 10-92 (456 of the pdf).

I'm setup pretty much the same way as the picture with my route patterns applied to partitions that are a member of my Device(phone) calling search space, and then having the blocked route patterns applied to the Line Calling search spaces - and this works well.

The Problem I'm having is the partition that is applied to the Line. In the figure in the SRND it looks like the example is a partition called “OnCluster” that all the DNs are a member of, and that partition is a member of the Device(Phone) Calling Search Space. But following this setup I cannot make an extension to extension call without the “OnCluster” partition being a member of the Line Calling Search Spaces also! But the figure and documentation is saying that the only partitions that are members of the line CSS is the partitions that block certain route patterns, and not the “OnCluster” partition.

I hope that makes sense. It makes sense to me why it needs to be there, but the SRND is saying otherwise. Am I not understanding this right?

Any Help would be much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dezoconnor
Level 4
Level 4

Using this method you would normally use a CSS on the device that points to the local gateway for outbound PSTN calls and then use the CSS on the line to make any restrictions. Under the line partition you would then place your "Oncluster" partition to allow IP to IP on-net calls. Give this a try.

HTH

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

dezoconnor
Level 4
Level 4

Using this method you would normally use a CSS on the device that points to the local gateway for outbound PSTN calls and then use the CSS on the line to make any restrictions. Under the line partition you would then place your "Oncluster" partition to allow IP to IP on-net calls. Give this a try.

HTH

Thanks for the reply, but you're telling me to do something that I already said I was doing. The calling restrictions work great, but I cannot make extension to extension (ip phone to ip phone) calls. The Dialed number analyzer says it's blocked, but I don't have any patterns setup to block extensions.

I'm using the same Line partition on all testing phones, so according to my knowledge, it shouldn't matter what line CSS they are in as long as they're both in the same line partition, and they should be allowed to call each other regardless.

Any advice anyone?

SRND is correct, you dont assign the AllDNs or as they call it OnCluster PT to the Line CSS. Double check ur CSS and PT.

I assume you created Translation Patterns which will determine COS for the user. Line CSS will determine the COS for the user. Device CSS will give them access to the PSTN.

Send me an email and I'll forward u a PowerPoint explaining in detail the Line/Device approach.

I'm using route patterns for COS, not translation patterns.

I understand the concept, and it's IS working (blocking long distance calls, etc), however I'm not able to make calls between phones in the same line partition.

If 2 extensions are in the same line partition, they should be able to call each other regardless of Line CSS or Phone CSS correct?

Good morning Jonathan, any chance you could note down here what css's are being used on both line and device and what partition's they're using, also what Partition your line is using. Or, if you wish, we could set up a remote session on your cucm and I'll take a look? Possibly may resolve issue quicker.

Regards

I've opened a TAC case and I'm talking with the tech right now. I'll update this thread with what I find.

Stoyan Stoitsev
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

To have two phones talking to each other their CSSs must contain the partition of the other phone's line no matter if their lines are in the same partition.

If you have a CSS on the phone device you don't need to put CSS on the line. You want to put a CSS on the line if you want to override the one on the device. For example if you have multiple lines with the same permission on a single phone and just one line with different permision you must put the common CSS on the device and the specific one on that one line.

Take a look at the "Advanced Dial Plan design" from Barcelona '08

BR,

Stoyan

I agree completely. I had the Line partition added to the Device(phone) CSS so that I didn't have it in the line CSS. Everything was working the way it was supposed to EXCEPT for internal extension-to-extension calling. TAC was able to help me get this fixed by just rebooting the CM server my phone was registered to. Very frusterating, but I'm glad I had it right all along and it was some weird database sync glitch that messed me up. Thanks for everyone's input anyway.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: