cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to RDP

jeanaguemon
Level 1
Level 1

I have two servers located on the DMZ and plugged into the same switch. Both servers are on the same subnet 192.168.0.0/24, and I'm unable to RDP from server 1 to server 2 but can RDP from server 2 to server 1. server 1 can ping server 2 and vice versa. I can RDP from a remote location to server 2 but not from server 1. All windows firewall are turned off. Both servers are on the same vlan 99. I used all my resources. Can anyone helps me ? Did anyone experience this before ? I will appreciate any help to resolve this issue. Thanks.

20 Replies 20

legerity1_2
Level 1
Level 1

you might want to check the event logs to see if there isn't something application based going on...

I'm assuming because of icmp working that both arp tables are good, but you might want to check. (windows arp -a linux arp)

Geoff

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

Can server 1 RDP to any other location?

There is a utility I posted called SLPing, which allows you to ping on TCP and UDP ports to find out if there is a connection via the ports.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Service%20Providers&topic=VPN%20Service%20Architectures&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.2cbeb94e/7#selected_message

Are there any other connections made to server 2 when attempting with server 1?

Would it be possible to try VNC just to rule out RDP being the issue?

http://www.realvnc.com

server 1 can RDP to any other locations.If any other connections made to server 2 when attempting with server 1 I don't know. Unfortunately, VNC is prohibited to be used in our network. Thanks.

This is unusual.

Recap:

Server 1 can RDP to other locations.

Server 2 can RDP to Server 1.

Server 1 can NOT RDP to Server 2.

ICMP works both directions.

No firewall

Same VLAN

Do you have a sniffer you can put on the network to capture the traffic? I think the only way to really know what is happening is to see the stream. This will tell you if a connection made or connection is refused.

You can use something like Ethereal, it is free.

That is exactly what I'm about to do this afternoon. Put the sniffer between those two servers and capture traffic.

One other thing to check, which I am sure you have done.

Are you doing this via IP or DNS?

Just want to rule out a DNS issue.

Can you try both ways?

By IP address.

ha...ok that blows that theory out of the water.

I was hoping it was something that easy. Along with the sniff, can you do a traceroute from server 1 to server 2?

server 1 and server 2 are on the same subnet, traceroute just showed just one path to the server 2.

l.mourits
Level 5
Level 5

You may want to check server 2 for any persistent routes to 192.168.0.0/24 on it.

Also, since you are using subnet zero, check if your servers both support subnet zero.

Next, ensure subnetmasks are set correct. Then check arp tables on router ans servers, and check the mac address table on the switch.

You may also want to check if there are any teaming settings for interfaces on the server causing this issue.

Can't think of anything else.

HTH,

Leo

I captured some traffic yesterday with ethereal. The files are attached.

Hi,

What IP adresses are the relevant adresses for the servers in question?

The cap file basically shows two host communication with RDP (x.y.z.68 and x.y.z.65), and another host (x.y.z.250) trying to find the MAC (ARP request) for x.y.z.12

Seems you have an ARP issue if host x.y.z.12 is the server having problems.

HTH,

Leo

x.y.z.68 is the one trying to RDP to x.y.z.65 and it is failing. I believe the connection is getting established then dropped. The funny thing is x.y.z.68 can RDP to other servers on the same subnet and other servers on the same subnet can RDP to x.y.z.65 and vice versa. x.y.z.250 is the ip address of the gateway and x.y.z.12 is the DNS server.We even tried to connect to x.y.z.65 using the hostname and we got the same result. I have no more clues.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: