cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless router

dkblee
Level 1
Level 1

hi! If i would like to connect a linksys wireless router(wrt54g) to my edge switch? What need to be done in the edge switch(2950) + can i create a vlan in my 2650 routers and use that vlan on the linksys router? Please advise. Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, you could do that. As it is a wireless router it would make sense to have it on it's own vlan which would allow you to filter traffic on the vlan interface.

Jon

hi!

for the edge switch, do i need to configure it as a trunk or the specific vlan port?

Thanks.

David

It depends on what you are trying to do and what the capabilities of the router are.

Generally speaking it should be a specific vlan port and i would make that a dedicated vlan for reasons i said previously.

If you wanted your router to be route between vlans on your switch then if the router can support it you can make the connection a trunk link and run subinterfaces on the router.

Jon

hi! If i understand you correctly. This is what i can do.

1)Connect the wireless router to the 2950 switch

2) create a vlan (subinterface) in the 2600 router.

3) Assign the new range of ip for the new vlan at the wireless router.

4) set the newly created vlan on the port that's connected to the wireless router.

Is that right? Thanks.

David

yes that would work.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: