Views
Helpful
Replies

UC500 limitations

flash2200
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have two questions about the UC500 series...

1) The marketing says it supports up to 50 users but the available configurations only seem to allow a max of 48? Can someone advise on the discrepancy? Here's the marketing link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/ps7293/product_data_sheet0900aecd8061fb06.pdf

2) Can a UC500 series device form an intercluster trunk with a Call Manager Server? I know the CME can but I'm not certain on UC500?

TIA

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1 You can count some additional user above 48, for ipcp.

2. Yes. UC500 does everything CME does.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Hi Paolo,

Appreciate the response. After some digging last night I found this note on Cisco's site. See the second question from this link quoted below: Other than that I think you're rights. They must have intentionally restricted the capability presumably for marketing reasons I'm speculating.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/ps7293/prod_qas0900aecd806a3cfa.html

"Interoperability and Relationship to Other Cisco Platforms

Q. Can multiple systems be networked together?

A. Yes, 3 to 5 Cisco Unified Communications 500 Series systems can be configured to work together. If there is a requirement for additional site-to-site networking, it is recommended that you deploy the Integrated Services Router family for those scenarios.

Q. Can the Cisco Unified Communications 500 Series be networked with Cisco Unified CME or Cisco Unified Communications Manager?

A. The Cisco Unified Communications 500 Series can be networked with an integrated services router-based Cisco Unified CME, but the Cisco Unified Communications 500 Series does not work with Cisco Unified Communications Manager.

Hi, in fact there is no limit on the number of CME/UC500 that you can network together. That answer also make little sense, what if I want to network two units when the stated support is from 3 to 5 ?

Please remember to rate useful posts using the scrollbox below!

Hey Paolo

i have an answer to that, the limitation from 3-5 boxes to network together is due to the marketing position for which the UC500 was made for.

as you probably know there is a business reason behind every product and it has been defined that the UC500 was to be for SMB, so they defined that the limit for boxes networking was 3-5.

in case you need more users that the ones the 5 boxes provide then you would need to use the next level, a CME or possibly a 7815-7825 + CUEs or unity

some people don't like this kind of answer but that's what i've been told from higher powers... don't shoot the messenger ;-)

HTH

javalenc

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Java, all that is fine with me. Just report to high powers, considering the answer is Yes, 3 to 5 Cisco Unified Communications 500 and not Up to 3 to 5, there can be a case where "2 boxes" is "less than 3", but still "networking" on my book :)

I'll give you 5 because:

A) I'm just a darn nice guy.

B) You've helped me out and a lot of others on this forum many many time before.

Keep up the good work! :)

Hahaha, doing the possible here, you made my day as I got something stolen today, but appreciation, nobody can steal that from me.

Hi Tia,

Its like this -

48 + 2 Remote Teleworker users

-> Sushil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: