Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.0 Multi-Server Environment: license question

a.henriquez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Our client wants to upgrade a single server CW LMS 2.6 installation with 1500 devices license to a high availability arquitecture with LMS 3.0. I have found in Cisco that option A is cheaper than B in abot 20,000$:

A)One upgrade license of LMS 2.6 to 3.0 with 5000 devices.

B)One upgrade license of LMS 2.6 to 3.0 with 1500 devices plus a new 1500 devices license for 3.0.

The license document in http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/3.0/install/guide/sla.html says that "Users of CiscoWorks LMS 3.0 with 5,000 device restricted licensing may require individual CiscoWorks LMS applications, such as CiscoWorks DFM or CiscoWorks RME, to be run on separate servers in order to support a large number of devices or to meet certain performance criteria".

The two questions are:

1- Is high aviability a valid and legal criteria to use the 5000 license to install all the applications (RME, CM, IPM, etc.) in two servers with DCR in master/slave to manage the 1500 devices. The dude is that license says "support a large number of decives" and "performance criteria" and there is no reference for high aviability.

2.- The total count for licensing will be 3000 in this case?

Thanks in advance for all,

Best regards,

19 Replies 19

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can do this provided the device count does not exceed 5,000. From the same document:

More than one copy of CiscoWorks applications may be installed on secondary servers provided the customer has purchased and registered the 5,000 device restricted version of the CiscoWorks LMS software. When installed on secondary server, the cumulative total number of devices supported cannot exceed 5,000 per serial license key. Device support beyond 5,000 will require additional licenses and copies of CiscoWorks LMS to be purchased.

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.

But this is an answer directo forom Cisco (lms-pm@cisco.com) that I have received:

"If your customer has only 1500 devices and if this type of setup is fine with them then they need to purchase two 1500 devices licenses"

Any help?

Thanks

Hello,

One question more that we think is very important:

If all is ok finally, remember that we have not a pure 5000 device license (CWLMS-3.0-5K-K9). Instead of this we have a 2.6 UR license and and upgrade to LMS 3.0 with 5000 devices (CWLMS-3.0-5KUPK9).

What license must we put in the second server? The CWLMS-3.0-5KUPK9 is an upgrade and we think that is not going to work in the second server because we have not another 2.6 UR license in this second server? Must Cisco supply an additional global license to use in any server?

Thanks, thanks, thanks,

Best regards,

The PMs list would probably have the authoritative answer on the subject, but their answer contradicts what is documented on Cisco.com. You might bring that point up to them, and see what they say.

The 2.6 licence key wont work on 3.0... it doesnt even do the cross validation that previous versions do.

You just take the licence file from #1 and put it on number two. When you join the servers together as master and slave the DCR talks to the licencing daemon and enforces your device limitations. Its much more intelligent than before in 3.X

Yes, this would be the way to do it provided this licensing scheme is legal. The published documentation indicates that it is, but the LMS product managers answered in the negative. I do not want to advise anyone to do something that would be deemed illegal.

Hello,

Supposing yhat it is legal, the procedure will be:

1) Install the second LMS 3.0 with a trial license (remember that we have only a 2.6 UR + 3.0 upgrade 5000 devices for first server)

2) Configure DCR of the second LMS as slave and join to the master. In this moment the license of second server is upgrade from the first server.

Is it true that we have to use a trial licenese in point 1 for the second server?

Best regards

This is not true. Each server must have a valid purchased license. The license information is not exchanged as part of a master/slave DCR setup. So, if the 5,000 license is acceptable for HA, you will install the same LMS 3.0 license file on both servers.

Ok. Perfect.

So the last question :) is: what license must I install in the second server because i have purchased an upgrade license for my first server?

Thanks again for all,

this is a funny discussion...(if it would not be so serious..)

there is *NO* HA feature in LMS so this could not be an argument for licensing issues!

DCRsync and Master-Slave installations are only solutions for a single device repository and Single-Sign-On features, respectively - that is really good, but it is not HA....

Cisco itself declines any HA solution for LMS in the past years. Customers have had to build their own HA solutions - OR just buy and install the same software twice...

The number of Cisco devices a customer has could not be counted against the license he is allowed to buy (- this is how I interprete the answer from lms-pm@cisco.com) - I think this should still be the decision of the customer and his budget (even if he only owns a single cisco800 :-))

In LMS 2.6 there was no 5k or 10k license and Cisco said the upgrade version could be purchased based on the version...

The license document clearly says, that the 5k and 10k versions can be installed more than once ... I would say its up to the customer how he trys to reache the maximum number of devices in DCR....(just typing them in could be one way ...)

if you use this license, it is as akemp said - you have to take your purchased upgrade license and install it in both servers (this is the usual way with 5k licenses).

I think I have to clearly say this is MY OWN opinion and Cisco has to decide if it is legal or not - but I can't see any real argument against it.

BTW, what has a customer to buy if he has a LMS3.0 1.5k license and reaches the upper limit?? Must he really buy the 5k license because there is no license upgrade from 1.5k to 5.k (or any other)

True, there is no true HA in LMS. The question here is whether or not having one license file entitles you to mange the same device in two instances of the same application. The documentation on Cisco.com is vague on this. Based on the pure letter of what is written, this would seem to be legal. Without any other input, I already said this was legal based on my layman reading of the license restrictions.

The product team could argue, though, as they have done in the past, that "HA" setups require two licenses even if the total device count can easily fit into one license.

Hello,

Yes it is a funny thing :)

I know there is no HA. We want to manage the same devices utwice sing two server. So we have two options:

1) Two LMS servers with two DCR standalone.

2) Two LMS servers with DCR in master/slave.

I think option is 2 is better. What do you think?

Cisco has answered me finally that it is legal:

1) It is possible to manage 5000 devices domain/s(*) installing multiple (2,3,4 etc) LMS servers buying one CWLMS-3.0-5K-K9 direct license(LMS 3.0 5000 devices)

2) It is possible to manage 5000 devices domain/s(*) installing multiple (2,3,4 etc) LMS servers buying one CWLMS-3.0-5KUPK9 upgrade license(LMS 3.0 5000 devices). This upgrade license can be applied to multiple servers.

(*) There can not be more than 5000 devices taken in conjunction in all servers.

- We are in case 2. We need to buy one CWLMS-3.0-5KUPK9 upgrade license. First we will use this upgrade license in the only server we have actually with LMS 2.6, call this server server1. But how we put the license in the new (there is not LMS installed yet) server2, server3, etc.?

1) We install LMS 3.0 in a new server and when the software asks during the installation for a license we give the CWLMS-3.0-5KUPK9 license file.

2) We install LMS 3.0 in a new server in evaluation mode. Once LMS is installed we upgrade the license in Common Services using the CWLMS-3.0-5KUPK9 license file.

3) We install LMS 2.6 with my original valid license and later upgrade to LMS 3.0 and use the CWLMS-3.0-5KUPK9 license file.

4) …

Any help?

Regarding your last questions, there is license upgrade from 1,5k to 5k. This is the part number: CWLMS-CONV-1.5K-5K (LMS 3.X Device Restricted Lic Conversion 1.5K - 5K).

Thanks for all,

You would apply the same upgrade license to both servers.

Hello clarke,

The actual situation is that we have only one LMS 2.6 and not two. We want to upgrade to LMS 3.0 the actual server AND at the same time install LMS in other server to manage the same network because LMS 3.0 permits this (installation of multiple LMS servers).

- We need to buy one CWLMS-3.0-5KUPK9 upgrade license. First we will use this upgrade license in the upgrade of the only server we have actually with LMS 2.6, call this server server1. But how we put the license in the new (there is not LMS installed yet) server2, server3, etc.?

1) We install LMS 3.0 in a new server and when the software asks during the installation for a license we give the CWLMS-3.0-5KUPK9 license file.

2) We install LMS 3.0 in a new server in evaluation mode. Once LMS is installed we upgrade the license in Common Services using the CWLMS-3.0-5KUPK9 license file.

3) We install LMS 2.6 with my original valid license and later upgrade to LMS 3.0 and use the CWLMS-3.0-5KUPK9 license file.

4) …

Any help?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: