cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame Relay Multipoint Config Help Me Please!!!!

Charlie Mayes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys,

I have a dilemma with my understanding of Frame Relay with Multipoint. I have 4 routers that am connecting to a Frame Cloud. I want to be able to ping the other 3 routers from my one router. All my routers are part of the same subnet. I do understand that I have to go into each router and configure the a frame map statement to for each of the destination routers. I just need to now should my frame cloud have a PVC setup from every source DLCI to every Destination DLCI in order to be mabl to ping the destination device? Is there anyway to ping from one source DLCI to several destination DLCIs have to create multiple PVC's in the Frame cloud to get to the destination? I just want to be able to type in EXAMPLE below on a interface

frame map ip 192.168.1.1 100 broadcast

frame map ip 192.168.1.2 100 broadcast

frame map ip 192.168.1.3 100 broadcast

and have the traffic be routed out of whatever DLCI whether it is 400 500 600 etc to get to the right destination and do not want to map a PVC for each one in the Frame Cloud.

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Charlie

There are several ways to set up Frame Relay multipoint and you have not given us enough information about how you are setting it up for us to know how to advise you.

One option for Frame Relay multipoint is a full mesh. This seems to be what you are describing when you say:

"should my frame cloud have a PVC setup from every source DLCI to every Destination DLCI"

with full mesh each router would have 3 PVCs and 3 DLCIs, and would have a direct connection to each of the other routers.

Another option for Frame Relay multipoint is a hub and spoke. In a typical hub and spoke setup the hub router would have 3 PVCs and 3 DLCIs (one to each of the spoke routers) while the spoke router would have a single PVC and a single DLCI connecting to the hub router. The spoke routers can communicate with each other by going through the hub router. That sort of seems to be what you are describing when you say:

"I want to be able to ping the other 3 routers from my one router"

and the example that you use would be appropriate for the configuration of a spoke router in a hub and spoke setup:

frame map ip 192.168.1.1 100 broadcast

frame map ip 192.168.1.2 100 broadcast

frame map ip 192.168.1.3 100 broadcast

because this map indicates that there are 3 addresses that are all accessed via DLCI 100.

If you can clarify what your setup is then we might be able to help clear up some of your dilemma.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Sorry Rick,

I am desiring to connect 4 routers to a Frame Cloud then set my (frame map ip DLCI broadcast) commands on a single interface on each router so that any traffic originating from any router can get to any destination dynamically without having a PVC between the originating router and every other destination. I not sure how to do this without setting up a full mesh.

Charlie

The additional information is helpful. So you want to set up a hub and spoke in which there is 1 hub router which connects to 3 spoke router. In this situation the hub router has 3 DLCIs, one to each spoke. Each spoke has 1 DLCI to the hub. Each router needs a Frame Relay map for each neighbor to establish connectivity to each of its neighbors.

For an example lets assume 4 routers identified as R1, R2, R3, R4 with R1 as the hub. Lets assume IP addressing with 192.168.1.. And lets assume PVCs and DLCIs as following

on the hub

R1 DLCI 122 connects to R2 DLCI 221

R1 DLCI 123 connects to R3 DLCI 321

R1 DLCI 124 connects to R4 DLCI 421

and on the spokes

R2 DLCI 221 connects to R1 DLCI 122

R3 DLCI 321 connects to R1 DLCI 123

R4 DLCI 421 connects to R1 DLCI 124

Then on the hub you would have these maps:

frame map ip 192.168.1.2 122 broadcast

frame map ip 192.168.1.3 123 broadcast

frame map ip 192.168.1.4 124 broadcast

on the R2 spoke you would have:

frame map ip 192.168.1.1 221 broadcast

frame map ip 192.168.1.3 221 broadcast

frame map ip 192.168.1.4 221 broadcast

you can figure the maps for the other spokes from this.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card