cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless client can't get dhcp

ds5879.cisco
Level 1
Level 1

We are having trouble with a wireless client getting a DHCP address when connecting to a repeater AP.

client -> AP-2(Repeater)<------------>AP-1(Root-Bridge)------> Wired LAN

If I assign a static to the wireless client then everything is fine (can pass traffic, etc.). I just cant get an IP. I have posted the configs (relevant parts) to help. The rest of the network (wired part) can get an IP from VLAN 2. It's just the 1 client that uses that AP can't. Please let me know if I am missing anything. Thank you!

5 Replies 5

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Daniel,

What device is providing your DHCP? Is it on VLAN 50 or 2?

We have a windows 2003 server providing DHCP for VLAN 2...we have helper addresses on our SVI's to point to the DHCP server. vlan 50 is our mgmt vlan

So your Windows machine resides on VLAN 50?

Your layer 3 interface for VLAN 2 points to the machine on VLAN 50?

But you want to provide DHCP IP address for VLAN 2?

If you connect a machine to a switch port in VLAN 2 does it get an IP address? as a test?

Our dhcp server resides on a completly seperate network. We just have our L3 switch (which acts as our building boundry to the rest of our network) with SVI's on it for various different VLAN's. Each SVI has an ip helper-address on it pointing to the DHCP server. Our dhcp server then has different IP ranges for all of those VLANS and assigns IP's based on what VLAN you are in... yes all other wired traffic is fine in vlan 2...

To be honest - I have not come across this problem specifically. I would try something - and change AP-2 from a repeater to a workgroup bridge:-

interface Dot11Radio0

no station-role repeater

station-role workgroup-bridge

See if that resolves the issue?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card