cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 as a WAN router - best practice?

sdrossen2
Level 1
Level 1

We are wanting to move our WAN connections off a 7200 to 6500's. I am trying to determine best practice for configuring of the ports. Right now we have a single 7200 but will be moving to a dual-6509 core. The plan is for most of the connection to go to 6509-A but we will setup a port on the 6509-B that matches in case 6509-A fails we can manually move the connection over.

For the connections that come in as ethernet hand offs what is the best practice to configure the port? Should we do a "no switchport" and just assign the IP to the interface similar to the 7200 config or should we setup a vlan for the WAN connection and then assign that vlan to the switch port?

What else do I need to consider before making this transition?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would configure the ports as L3 ports ie. "no switchport" and assign the IP to the interface. Setting up a vlan for the WAN connections introduces STP where you don't need it.

Apart from routing protocol support and line terminations which i'm assuming you have already checked the only thing i would consider (if you haven't already) is to use a redundant supervisor in the 6500 chassis for added redundancy.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would configure the ports as L3 ports ie. "no switchport" and assign the IP to the interface. Setting up a vlan for the WAN connections introduces STP where you don't need it.

Apart from routing protocol support and line terminations which i'm assuming you have already checked the only thing i would consider (if you haven't already) is to use a redundant supervisor in the 6500 chassis for added redundancy.

Jon

We do have dual Sup720's in the 6500 and are working thought the BGP and EIGRP configs right now.

Then you should be fine.

Good luck.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: