Views
Helpful
Replies

question on DR

ilnaiduccna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends,

As everybody know the DR election process is like the highest router id will be the DR am i right?

Then what is the router id any body can give right info.

Regards,

Naidu.

5 Replies 5

srue
Level 7
Level 7

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/104/1.html#t21

"The router with the highest OSPF priority on a segment will become the DR for that segment. The same process is repeated for the BDR. In case of a tie, the router with the highest RID will win."

Naidu,

The default OSPF priority of an interface is '1'. Hence, if the priority wasn't changed on any of the router interfaces in the multi-access segment then the router with the highest RID would be elected DR for that segment. Just to let you know you can set the interface priority to '0' if you don't want a router to become a DR under any circumstance.

HTH

Sundar

Sundar,

As you told how i should proceed to change router int priority, what are the commands from starting can you give.

Regards,

Naidu.

soray
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Naidu -

The highest IP address on the router will be the assigned router ID. With that being said. If the router have a loopback address assigned. Then the loopback address will be the router ID. If there are more than one loopback on the router,then the highest loopback address will be the Router's ID. You can also assign a RID under the OSPF process.

I hope I haven't confused you.

soray

Hi,

Thanks to both Sundar & Soray for their quick responce and good info on my conversation, it help out me.

REgards,

Naidu.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card