CCNP Study Material - Confusion

Unanswered Question
May 7th, 2008

Hi Everyone

i have finished my CCNA about 1.5 years ago and now decided i want to sit for my CCNP. I had a couple of questions. I want to use the Cisco Press books as i found this to be excellent when persuing my CCNA studies (Found these books more accurate over other brand books)

my question is, i have been looking on the Cisco Press site and for the BSCI exam it has 2 books to choose from. They are:

Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks (BSCI) (Authorized Self-Study Guide), Third Ed.

CCNP BSCI Official Exam Certification Guide, Fourth Ed.

Now i know one is the Self Study guide and the other is the official exam certification guide.

But what would be the better book is one book more directed at the exam than the other?

Clarification would be great as i want to purchase some books today or tommorow.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4 (3 ratings)
mounir.mohamed Wed, 05/07/2008 - 23:05

CCNP BCMSN Official Exam Certification Guide Fourth Edition, Extremely helpful for CCNP and CCIE R&S also.

kindly rate helpful posts.

Best Regards,

Mounir Mohamed

Hi Milan

The authorised self study guide teaches you the the detail about the subjects. The exam certification guide is designed to then be used to sharpen up your focus for the exam.

Both books have a part to play in your studies, but I suppose if I was choosing just one, I would go with the self study guide.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Best Regards,

Milan Peyrac Thu, 05/08/2008 - 04:23

Thanks for the responses guys.

So would i be right in saying that if i studied the self study guide and new everything back to front i should pass the exam right?

jrensink78 Thu, 05/08/2008 - 06:34

I agree, grab both if you can. I find it helpful to have more than one source for studying when possible. That way, when one author doesn't explain things in a way that makes sense to me, I have another source to look at.

The Exam Certification guide does have a few bonus features that the Self Study guide does not have.

One, it comes with a practice exam engine that contains 400-600 questions. A large percent of the questions are directly out of the book though.

Two, it has a PDF version of the book on CD. This can be nice for studying without having to lug the book around.

Typically I read through both books and then review from the Self Study book. I'll utilize the practice exam from the Exam Certification guide. Then I'll use the Cisco Press Lab Companion guide for doing hands-on lab scenarios (which has been very helpful to me).

Milan Peyrac Thu, 05/08/2008 - 14:38

Thanks so much for your responses. Much appreciated. I think i will get both books, but read the self study guide first and than anything i am unsure about i will read the exam certification.

You are right about how great it is to have it in PDF format too.

Thanks again for your great help everyone.

This Discussion