cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame Relay Routing

limcheemeng
Level 1
Level 1

I have a router with 3 serial interfaces (S0, S1 and S2), each connected to a Frame Relay equipment. All the FR equipment are configure with DLCI 300 and 301. I wish to configure my router to route traffic from one serial port to the other TWO serial ports:

1) from [S0,DLCI 300] to [S1,DLCI 300] AND [S2, DLCI 300]

2) from [S1,DLCI 300] to [S0,DLCI 300] AND [S2, DLCI 300]

3) from [S2,DLCI 300] to [S0,DLCI 300] AND [S1, DLCI 300]

4) from [S0,DLCI 301] to [S1,DLCI 301] AND [S2, DLCI 301]

5) from [S1,DLCI 301] to [S0,DLCI 301] AND [S2, DLCI 301]

6) from [S2,DLCI 301] to [S0,DLCI 301] AND [S1, DLCI 301]

I have tried using FR switching, but only managed to route traffic from one serial port S0 to another serial port S1 BUT not to S2. Pls help. Thanks.

3 Replies 3

mheusing
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Frame relay switching allows you to route PVCs, which are point-to-point according to the Frame Relay standard defined by the Frame Relay Forum. So the connectivity requirements described can not be implemented with frame relay on a Cisco router. The observed behaviour reflects this ("...only managed to route traffic from one serial port S0 to another serial port S1 BUT not to S2.").

What you can do is to define a full mesh of PVCs between interfaces, like:

1) from [S0,DLCI 300] to [S1,DLCI 300]

2) from [S1,DLCI 301] to [S2,DLCI 300]

3) from [S2,DLCI 301] to [S0,DLCI 301]

What are you trying to achieve with your requirements? Maybe there is another solution, which can be implemented, but we need more information to provide a solution.

Hope this helps! Please use the rating system.

Regards, Martin

Hi Martin,

thanks for your reply. I am trying to use the router as a hub, so that the traffic from S0 with DLCI 300 can be broadcast to S1 DLCI 300 and S2 DLCI 300 and vice versa. So you are saying that this can't be done using CISCO router? Any other suggestions?

Will "frame-relay map bridge 300 broadcast" work for my requirement? I have tried, but doesn't seem to work. The following is what I have done, maybe someone can comment.

configure S0,S1,S2 using:

encapsulation frame-relay ietf

frame-relay map bridge 300 broadcast ietf

frame-relay map bridge 301 broadcast ietf

Thanks.

Hello,

as Martin has explained FR switching works on point-to-point PVCs only.

The command frame-relay map bridge 300 broadcast ietf instructs the router to map on DLCI 300 and DLCI 301 including broadcast frames with encapsulation IETF and does not make a bridge between the two DLCIs. This command is thought to be used when the interface is part of a bridge-group

An example of usage in the command reference

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/wan/command/reference/wan_f2g.html#wp1059880

interface serial 0

bridge-group 1

encapsulation frame-relay

interface serial 0.1

bridge-group 1

frame-relay map bridge 42 broadcast

interface serial 0.2

bridge-group 1

frame-relay map bridge 64 broadcast

interface serial 0.3

bridge-group 1

frame-relay map bridge 73 broadcast

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco