If i put the smnp string like cisco@@

no tram is going to snmp server means SNMP server unable to recover

but if put the string like cisco@ is it happening

Can any help on this.

5 Replies 5

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The @ character is a very important character for snmp with regards to community string indexing. The server can handle a @, but expects this to be community string indexing.

You actually shouldn't use 1 of these characters in the community string, let alone 2 of them.

when we are using 1 of this character, we dont find any problem. everything works fine. Only when we have 2 special characters like "@@" its giving problem.

Dave is absolutely right. The '@' is a special character used by Cisco devices for dereferencing different instances of the same MIB. You must never use '@' in the community string of a switch, and you cannot use it on routers if you will be doing things like MPLS.

If you're trying to come up with odd characters for your community strings, it really doesn't help much. The strings are still passed in clear text on the wire. If you are concerned about SNMP security, consider moving to SNMPv3, or using a community string with access-lists and views to limit access.

Hi,

Thank you for your clirification.

Can you please share some url:// on this so I can read and understand better.

See ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/mibs/supportlists/wsc6509/wsc6509-communityIndexing.html for more details con community string indexing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: