iSCSI over IPv6

Unanswered Question
May 8th, 2008

Can Cisco's iSCSI hardware be deployed on a Windows Server 2008 IPv6 network that uses InfiniBand as the underlying I/O fabric?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
inch Thu, 05/08/2008 - 15:58

Are you running IP over IB? Are you using a IB/Ethernet router to get the traffic from ethernet to IB?

If so, yes :)

HotmailUser Fri, 05/09/2008 - 03:39

There won't be any Ethernet based technologies involved in my datacenters.

And yes, I'll run IP over InfiniBand.

I don't want to get into some political discussion over why anyone should use Ethernet while InfiniBand offers much more bandwidth.

Can't iSCSI run over IPv6?

inch Tue, 05/20/2008 - 14:35

Of course it can run over IPv6 - so long as your IB/Ethernet bridge is not going to do anything whacky you should be fine.

For more info:

I would say however, depending on the size of your datacentre you might want to look at the nexus switches vs infiniband. I know the inifiband is very well priced a the moment but dual 10gbE cards these days are only ~1200(AUD)...

HotmailUser Wed, 05/21/2008 - 09:15

Why would I need an IB/Ethernet bridge? I won't be using any Ethernet technologies in my datacenter.

Isn't most of Australia warm and sunny? I'll probably build one of my datacenters there.

inch Wed, 05/21/2008 - 14:04

What are you going to use as your iscsi target? What sort of storage are you going to use?

HotmailUser Thu, 05/22/2008 - 03:20

I'm as yet undecided on what kind of hardware I'll use in my datacenters, except that I'll be using some highest bandwidth InfiniBand implementation for all I/O.

But, I'll use Windows Server 2008 to run all my server software and possibly Cisco's VFrame product as well.

HotmailUser Thu, 05/22/2008 - 11:45

OK. I've figured it out.

I'll use Windows Server 2003, or better yet, Windows Server 2008 servers with loads of RAM as my iSCSI targets. I think there are storage solutions available from EMC that use RAM for storage and hopefully they work with Server 2008.

I don't care about stupid 10Gbps Ethernet and I'll use high bandwidth InfiniBand for all I/O as I've sworn before. And I'll use IPv6 QoS to prioritize my IP traffic.

InfiniBand rocks!

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Storage Networking