Half my AP's did not come up after upgrade to 4.1

Unanswered Question
May 8th, 2008

On Tuesday, I upgraded WCS and 7 WLC 4404 from version to Since then about 250 1131 access points have not come up. I reloaded the configs to all of the controllers from the backup that I did before the upgrade, but they still didnt come up. Does anyone have any ideas?

edit: I forgot to mention that my access points are set up with static IP and are spreadout through controllers 2-6 and use controller 1 as a backup.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
dennischolmes Thu, 05/08/2008 - 06:39

There are some known issues when upgrading controllers on large numbers of AP deployments. TAC is now suggesting that you isloate the APs when performing the upgrades. I would suspect that some APs got caught in the process and might have gotten confused over controller location. Try bringing one onto the same switch as a controller and try to attach it there. If that fails, call tac. You may have some bricks on your hands.

ericgarnel Thu, 05/08/2008 - 06:51

Check your logs, I bet you will see some cert errors in regards to the timestamps. You may want to fiddle with the controllers' time settings and reboot the APs again

RADELONEY Thu, 05/08/2008 - 07:57

Is there an easier way to reset all the access points, rather than doing one at a time?

RADELONEY Thu, 05/08/2008 - 10:13

Ok I managed to get just about all of the AP's back up. It seems to be a mixture of several problems. I reset the time on all the controllers, because for some reason they were all 1 hour off, even though the ntp server has the correct time and the time zone was correct. A large portion of the AP's were down due to insufficient power, which I assume is because they were plugged into a pre standard poe switch. A few, just needed to be reset to factory settings.

So after fixing all of those issues i have about 25 down which is alot better than the 250 I had this morning.

Thanks for the suggestions.

ericgarnel Thu, 05/08/2008 - 10:38

there was a shift in the standard daylight savings time this year. Perhaps it did not make it into the code in time

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode