cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Half my AP's did not come up after upgrade to 4.1

RADELONEY
Level 1
Level 1

On Tuesday, I upgraded WCS and 7 WLC 4404 from version 4.0.216.0 to 4.1.185.0. Since then about 250 1131 access points have not come up. I reloaded the configs to all of the controllers from the backup that I did before the upgrade, but they still didnt come up. Does anyone have any ideas?

edit: I forgot to mention that my access points are set up with static IP and are spreadout through controllers 2-6 and use controller 1 as a backup.

5 Replies 5

dennischolmes
Level 7
Level 7

There are some known issues when upgrading controllers on large numbers of AP deployments. TAC is now suggesting that you isloate the APs when performing the upgrades. I would suspect that some APs got caught in the process and might have gotten confused over controller location. Try bringing one onto the same switch as a controller and try to attach it there. If that fails, call tac. You may have some bricks on your hands.

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

Check your logs, I bet you will see some cert errors in regards to the timestamps. You may want to fiddle with the controllers' time settings and reboot the APs again

Is there an easier way to reset all the access points, rather than doing one at a time?

RADELONEY
Level 1
Level 1

Ok I managed to get just about all of the AP's back up. It seems to be a mixture of several problems. I reset the time on all the controllers, because for some reason they were all 1 hour off, even though the ntp server has the correct time and the time zone was correct. A large portion of the AP's were down due to insufficient power, which I assume is because they were plugged into a pre standard poe switch. A few, just needed to be reset to factory settings.

So after fixing all of those issues i have about 25 down which is alot better than the 250 I had this morning.

Thanks for the suggestions.

there was a shift in the standard daylight savings time this year. Perhaps it did not make it into the code in time

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card