Views
Helpful
Replies

SPAN, RSPAN, ERSPAN-Which One

mrashby
Level 1
Level 1

All,

My team will be working on upgrading our Headquarters network. We will be using 6509's as our access level switches. We are also using four 6509's in the distribution and a 7206 in the core. In each one of the distribution switches I have a WS-SVC-NAM-2. We are also using a Routed Access Design. I was reading the configuration documentation for the NAM modules and I came across SPAN, RSPAN, AND ERSPAN. Which one these configurations can I use in my network. I am not really catching the grasp of which one is right for my design. We are also using Cisco Works and I know you can push data from the NAM modules into Cisco Works. Which one of those configs will work with my design and allow me to see the data in Cisco Works?

2 Replies 2

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Mario,

The one you want depends on the location of your CW paltform in relation to the device you are port mirroring on:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native/configuration/guide/span.html

A really good doc that tells all.

HTH.

Thanks for the response. I made a mistake in my original post I have 2 6509's in the distribution, not 4 and I have 2 6509's in the core. My 2 nam modules are in the core. So with that said after reading the documentation you suggested can I...

use local SPAN to get the traffic on each of the 6505's in the core and use RSPAN to get all of the uplinks on the 2 6509's in the distribution.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: