cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Measuring latency

qwertys21
Level 1
Level 1

I need to measure latency between my site and other sites. If I run a series of pings and take the avg of the avg, will that give me a good latency measurement?

Also, will I get a legitimate measurement if I measure from logging on to the remote site's switch and pinging to my PC?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Make sure that you are doing the test without any traffic on the link.

If you have traffic on the link then you may not be able to get proper response time.

Also what kinda circuit you are using up over there ? it also depends on the kinda link (point to point/MPLS VPN/Internet) been used out there.

regds

Thanks

We have MPLS for some and ADSL for some.

Thanks

Hi,

For ADSL, you really can't see the exact traffic nor latency on both ends since the connection is shared for all users on a specific DSLAM or CO you are located.

My suggestion is to do testing on the link without traffic on it (as previously suggested) then do an end-to-end testing.

PING will do but if you wanted to measure the throughput then you should be able to generate traffic on the link and measure it (approximation only).

Please rate if it helps.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: