User Badges:

I have this configuration on a bri interface

interface BRI4/3

description …………………

bandwidth 128

ip address 10.0.1.69 255.255.255.252

encapsulation ppp

dialer idle-timeout 2147483

dialer map ip 10.0.1.70 name ……….. broadcast …….

dialer load-threshold 1 either

dialer-group 1

isdn switch-type basic-net3

isdn point-to-point-setup

no fair-queue

(The other side similar)

1. I put under the configuration the command ppp multilink. It seems that the WAN link is faster. Is that normal.I checked it with PTRG (ping latency)

2. Also i've read that instead of using load-threshold 1 is better to use not less than 3 . Is that true?

Thanks a lot

moses

Correct Answer by shillyar about 8 years 10 months ago

Hi Moses,

When you add ppp multil link you are basically bundling both b channels together instead of 1 or 2 individual b channels. Multilink forms 1 big pipe with both channels so yes the ping should be faster.

As for the load-throsold 1 is fine just stay away from 0. A for teh difference between 1 and 3 id say you would not even notice as the load throsold will determin when that 2nd channce some up in terms of load. if you set it at 1 it will pretty much come up rightaway depending on your load. If you worried about costs then dont set it at 1 unless you really need to and have the speed and load up most of the time.

Thx steve

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
shillyar Thu, 05/08/2008 - 09:16
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi Moses,

When you add ppp multil link you are basically bundling both b channels together instead of 1 or 2 individual b channels. Multilink forms 1 big pipe with both channels so yes the ping should be faster.

As for the load-throsold 1 is fine just stay away from 0. A for teh difference between 1 and 3 id say you would not even notice as the load throsold will determin when that 2nd channce some up in terms of load. if you set it at 1 it will pretty much come up rightaway depending on your load. If you worried about costs then dont set it at 1 unless you really need to and have the speed and load up most of the time.

Thx steve

Actions

This Discussion