Decimal to Binary Worksheets

Unanswered Question
May 8th, 2008

I'm currently well into my CCENT ICND1 certification training by following CBT Nuggets training videos. I've done other training as well but a couple things I can say I'm not an expert at are the conversions and subnetting. Don't get me wrong I know "how" and understand the concepts, but I need practice.

Let me stop rambling, my point is as follows:

What I've been looking for in the past few days is PDF or Word "Math Worksheets" to do Decimal to Binary & Binary to Decimal. YES I've found websites that list like, let's say, 4 examples and a description but that does not help.

I need a worksheet with a couple hundred problems, maybe even 50 would work. My goal is to do several conversions a day for a week so I may become very proficient in the task, second nature even.

So does anyone know where to get, for free, a digital workbook or worksheet of math decimal and binary conversions?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Hi There

There is no need to get a worksheet. Just grab a piece of paper and a pen and scribble down random 8 but binary numbers and then convert them to decimal. Then just reverse this and scribble down decimal numbers between 1 and 255 and then convert them to binary.

Also don't forget Hexadecimal to binary and decimal.

Don't let the fact that you have not come across a workbook stop you from practicing and also check out this site

For subnetting I would recommend the Sybex CCNA study guide by Todd Lammle. IMHO this is one of the best resources for getting up to speed with subnetting in your head.

For practice, again just write out random IP addresses and subnet masks and then work out the subnet number, broadcast and usable IP addresses for each address. It really is as simple as that. The more you practice the better and quicker you become.

Best Regards,

Eric Hansen Fri, 05/09/2008 - 06:44

I realized you're looking for a worksheet, wish I had one. But have you tried the Binary game on the cisco ccna prep center? Its a great think on your feet practice tool.

sirdudesly Sun, 05/11/2008 - 01:45

Mental arithmatic was never one of my strong points but all I did to keep track of it was to dashs for every bit position then write below it what the value was (now that i'm better at it obviously I don't need it :P)

so my paper would look like (formatting's not going to look right here but you get the idea)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1

celticfc2007 Sun, 05/11/2008 - 02:24

I got to sample part of CBT Nuggets CCENT course by Jeremy Cioara. He's a cool instructor, I never laughed so much studying. He was winning me over up to a point when I looking at alternative methods for subnetting. Then an odd rule was thrown in there for +1 or -1 on such and such subnet at the end of a video. Click stop, exit, that was the end of that, back to Chris Bryant's methods.

Years ago, I was scared off from doing Cisco. I didn't know binary or subnetting and this guy at work who was also looking to advance his position would tell me, "Yeah, the Instructor at the Network Academy says he teaches his class with everything in binary from day 1..." I ended up not pursuing Cisco, 'cos I bought into his BS.

There are many variations for learning the math for Cisco. Everyone has a method that worked well for them, but not for others. Personally I've looked at Cisco press, Sybex, TrainSignal (Chris Bryant), CBT Nuggets and others. Whichever method you choose, the important ingredient is repetition.

The easiest (IMHO) way to learn the math for Cisco is using Chris Bryant's teachings. He was a Binary Math Teacher before he was a CCIE. And even though on his TrainSignal CCENT course he verbally says "crtl + alt + 6" (twice I think), instead of "ctrl + shift + 6", he's a really good instructor, and his materials, minus a few errors (that you'll find in ANY course) and cheezy gifs on his site, are first class.

Check it out:

This Discussion