cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to limit tracking areas in WCS?

trevorwilson
Level 1
Level 1

WCS is set up and working well, 2710 is working and tracking about 300 devices. Some of the floors are a kind of cross shape, with AP's at each interior and exterior corner. I've drawn a perimeter in the Map Editor, and I thought that would limit the locations of the clients/tags, but it doesn't seem to. I still have clients/tags hovering off in space outside the perimeter. Any ideas why that might be?

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The issue is that you don't have triangulation. You need more than two to get good location. In the cross configuration, it would be the inner and outer AP of a section that knows or see's that tag. This would mean you would need more AP's to track accurately. Take a look at this doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/location/deployment/guide/depgd.html#wp38323

I was dissappointed to when I first had to deploy location.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

No, I've got plenty of AP's, trust me. Kind of like this:

oxxxxo

x x

x x

x x

oxxxxo oxxxxo

x x

x x

oxxxxo oxxxxo

x x

x x

oxxxxo t

t = client

o = AP

x = building outline (and perimeter drawn in map editor)

As you can see (if my rudimentary diagram shows up) I have at least 4 AP's for every point. The location readiness test shows all green for the internal areas I'm concerned with. The perimeter is around the edge of the cross, yet I still have clients (t) showing up. Any other idea's?

Damn, it took out my spaces and ruined my diagram. I'll try to get a screen cap, but really, I have 4 AP's everywhere... it's just the perimeter that doesn't work, the accuracy isn't that bad to tell you the truth. I just want to contain it to the actual map.

HAHAHA... I got confused and had to read and re-read to see how everything was laid out... then I saw your other post. Have you tried to calibrate the location on WCS. If you have enought AP's, you should be okay... however, I think Cisco siad 10 meters is the accuracy you can get.

-Scott

Ya, I tried to delete the post after I saw how it looked, but no dice. Sorry. :)

By calibrate, do you mean fingerprinting? I haven't done that yet, but we will. Regardless, I would think adding a perimeter would create a border that WCS would be smart enough to not place a client outside of. Isn't that really the point of a perimeter? With Aeroscout's Engine (for use with non-cisco, or non-lwapp environments), you can set the perimeter, and if the engine thinks the client should be out there, it just places is at the perimeter. It KNOWS that outside that is no mans land. It doesn't look like WCS does the same so far.

you are correct... aeroscout is a better solution, but also can be integrated into a Cisco Lwapp environment. WCS does not know of any walls nor will it know that you are outside. Location tracking using the 2700's is to give you an estimate of a location. Like I mentioned, the more ap's the better the accuracy. Sorry that it isn't a good solution for you.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: