Most likely a silly question about EtherChannels

laruecl
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, here goes. I am being asked to possibly create an etherchannel in this topo

Switch 1 connects to switch 2 via gig link

Switch 1 connect to switch 3 via 100mb link

Switch 2 connect to switch 3 via gig link

I don't believe it is possible, but the request is to connect switch 1 to the two remote switches via etherchannel. Because the connections from switch 1 are terminating on two different switches and are two different bw's I don't believe this is possible. But, I am wondering if anyone has seen something similar to this and if there is a way to make it work?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

You're correct,

You cannot create an etherchannel with two dissimilar Link Speeds or Media Types.

You can create two separate etherchannels. One from SW1 >> SW2 with 2-8 1gb ports &

One from SW1 >> SW3 with 2-8 100mb ports

Please see the following link for more information on etherchannel:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/tsd_technology_support_protocol_home.html

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

You're correct,

You cannot create an etherchannel with two dissimilar Link Speeds or Media Types.

You can create two separate etherchannels. One from SW1 >> SW2 with 2-8 1gb ports &

One from SW1 >> SW3 with 2-8 100mb ports

Please see the following link for more information on etherchannel:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/tsd_technology_support_protocol_home.html

Thank you!

benhanson
Level 1
Level 1

I don't think you are talking about this, but if you had 2 6500's with VSS you can actually have an etherchannel group that spans 2 physical switches, though the port speeds would likely still need to be the same.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: