Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridged ARP fails with "wrong cable" debug message

ggookin
Level 1
Level 1

Good Evening,

I am having failed ARP requests over a bridged frame relay circuit. Debugging ARP returns a message similar to: "IP ARP rep filtered .......wrong cable." The end node connected via the WIC card is a member of the bridge group. For bridge routing, I rely on layer 2.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Gary

There are some things about your situation and your topology that I do not understand. but in general the error message for an ARP indicating "wrong cable" is a sign that the address that is the source address of the ARP request falls outside the range of addresses of the subnet of the device that received the ARP request.

I suggest that you check the address and subnet mask of the devices on the sending end and the address and subnet mask of the device on the receiving end and make sure that they both belong to the same subnet.

Note that if they are bridged both ends are in the same broadcast domain and that implies that they should be in the same subnet.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since you're trying to bridge IP, you need either to disable ip on the interface part of the bridge group, or configure bridge irb, bridge 1 route ip, and a BVI.

The very best way would be not to bridge.

Thanks for the feedback. Status from the suggestions: both ends of the frame relay circuit are in the same subnet. We have all the bridge info setup as suggested except I'm not sure if we explicitly specify "bridge 1 route ip"....will check this tomorrow AM. We also agree that it is best not to bridge and we're planning to remove it as soon as scheduling allows.

To give more details about our configuration: one end of the circuit is a 3825 router runnig IOS 12.4 with a version 2 T1 WIC card while the other end is a 2621 router running 12.2(19) with a version 1 T1 WIC card. The ends are connected through a simulated frame relay cloud which is a 3640 running IOS 12.2(19)with ver 1 WIC cards. Our configuration was working when both ends were running 12.2(19).

Thanks for any suggestions.

For anyone interested and closure to this thread, Cisco confirmed there is a bug in their IOS causing the problem. The bug id is: CSCsq58431. Our configuration is: 3825 router, IOS 12.4(11)XJ4, WIC card WIC-1DSU-T1-V2.

I appreciate all the suggestions and feedback.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco