Views
Helpful
Replies

Passing multiple values using BGP

carl.forbes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to know if it is posible to pass multiple values from one eBGP peer to another - i.e. with something similar to extended communities?

I.e. can an upstream peer pass 6 variables to the downstream peer for processing and making a route decision?

The only mechnism i can think of is extended communities and it's not possible to do it with this.

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Would the BGP command set community {community-number [additive]}, using the additive option serve your need?

Hmm, i don't think so. From what i understand of the additive option, it would appear to add an additional community in transit.

I would like to add e.g. 6 community variables at the same time and send them to the downsream peer.

Thanks for this though, I haven't come across 'additive' before but now i have more confidence that BGP can handle multiple community values - but how do you write them all at the same time?

Thanks.

"but how do you write them all at the same time? "

Good question. Perhaps multiple set community additive commands within a route map, e.g. 6 in your case; unsure whether this is supported.

So setting community multiple times in a route-map is not an option?

route-map rm permit 10

match ip address 10

set community 1:100

set community 1:101

set community 1:102

Thanks.

I wasn't aware it was possible to do this, thanks, but leads me to another question. For the upstream peer receiving this update - is it possible to index each value individually. E.g.:

comm 1:100 = value [1]

comm 1:101 = value [2]

comm 1:102 = value [3]

So at the upstream, can i use syntax similar to reg exp within a route map and do: if value [2] = 101, route packet via int x?

Carl,

You can do that as follow:

router bgp xx

neighbor x.x.x.x remote-as yyy

neighbor x.x.x.x route-map test out

neighbor x.x.x.x send-community

!

route-map test permit 10

set community 1:1 1:2 1:3 1:4 1:5 1:6

!

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: