Views
Helpful
Replies

Passing multiple values using BGP

carl.forbes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to know if it is posible to pass multiple values from one eBGP peer to another - i.e. with something similar to extended communities?

I.e. can an upstream peer pass 6 variables to the downstream peer for processing and making a route decision?

The only mechnism i can think of is extended communities and it's not possible to do it with this.

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Would the BGP command set community {community-number [additive]}, using the additive option serve your need?

Hmm, i don't think so. From what i understand of the additive option, it would appear to add an additional community in transit.

I would like to add e.g. 6 community variables at the same time and send them to the downsream peer.

Thanks for this though, I haven't come across 'additive' before but now i have more confidence that BGP can handle multiple community values - but how do you write them all at the same time?

Thanks.

"but how do you write them all at the same time? "

Good question. Perhaps multiple set community additive commands within a route map, e.g. 6 in your case; unsure whether this is supported.

So setting community multiple times in a route-map is not an option?

route-map rm permit 10

match ip address 10

set community 1:100

set community 1:101

set community 1:102

Thanks.

I wasn't aware it was possible to do this, thanks, but leads me to another question. For the upstream peer receiving this update - is it possible to index each value individually. E.g.:

comm 1:100 = value [1]

comm 1:101 = value [2]

comm 1:102 = value [3]

So at the upstream, can i use syntax similar to reg exp within a route map and do: if value [2] = 101, route packet via int x?

Carl,

You can do that as follow:

router bgp xx

neighbor x.x.x.x remote-as yyy

neighbor x.x.x.x route-map test out

neighbor x.x.x.x send-community

!

route-map test permit 10

set community 1:1 1:2 1:3 1:4 1:5 1:6

!

Regards,

Harold Ritter