CCNP Prerequisites

Answered Question
May 9th, 2008

I have completed and passed the Cisco Network Academy course for CCNA a while ago. I am currently fishishing a CCNP certification through the Network Academy and by completing the official exams. Is it true that to gain the full CCNP certification I need to have a valid CCNA certification? I never sat the official exams for the CCNA as I went straight on to do the CCNP training.

Correct Answer by brianjpisa about 8 years 9 months ago

Yes you need to have a vaild CCNA to have a vaild CCNP. You could take all the tests for the CCNP, but you would not get the certification unless you get the CCNA.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
brianjpisa Fri, 05/09/2008 - 05:51

Yes you need to have a vaild CCNA to have a vaild CCNP. You could take all the tests for the CCNP, but you would not get the certification unless you get the CCNA.

andywatson Fri, 05/09/2008 - 06:00

Thanks for such a speedy reply; that's answered my question exactly! :)

tonymurphy30 Fri, 05/09/2008 - 11:01

Yes, I did exactly the same, my CCNA expired over a year ago and I passed all 4 of my CCNP exams finishing a few weeks ago.

I then had to take my CCNA exam and I became a CCNA and a CCNP on the same day.

Tony

andywatson Mon, 05/12/2008 - 00:22

Looks like I will be doing similar. It's a shame as it seems to me like some sort of money making scheme for Cisco. You would have thought that if you pass higher level exams then that should be enough... Ah well! :)

arunchandar_224 Mon, 07/11/2011 - 06:02

I have done my CCIE written without doing CCNA/CCNP.  Can i now take  CCNP with CCIE written as the pre-requisite without having CCNA.

burleyman Mon, 07/11/2011 - 07:03

Arun,

You should probably start your own thread when you ask a question to avoid any confusion and welcome to the community.

You can take whatever exems you wish at anytime, however, you will not earn the desigantion CCNP until you complete your CCNA.

Mike

Actions

This Discussion