Views
Helpful
Replies

DSP allocation on Cisco 2821 to make PSTN calls over E1 HELP

t-alkhalidi
Level 1
Level 1

hi all,

any one can help on understanding how to allocate and configure DSP farms. in simple, i Have 2821 router equipbed with 2 PVDM2-32. also one E1 ISDN 30 channels. as far as i can understand that for each call over E1 channel i need one DSP channel. to allocate one PVDM2-32 to the E1 to support 30 calls to the PSTN, should i configure my PVDM2-32 as transcoding or as MTP? or i should leave it without configuring and will be allocated automatically 2 the E1 30 channels.? . please , any one can clarify me what is differnce between transcoder or MTP in real world scenario. i have single site so do i need transcodering ? all phones using G.711 U law. its the fist time for me to do cisco call manager installation , i used 2 work on AVAYA system me where allocating media resources very simple and easy . one more thing do i need DSP for SIP phones basic 3rd party to make call to PSTN and recieve? . i have seen alot of sites using call manager as telephone system which is stable, and i dont want to end with customer replcaing Cisco by AVAYA becuase of bad configuration.

appreciate your help.

appreicate your help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you have a vwic2 card, configure "card type" first.

As a recognition to those providing answers, please rate useful posts with the scrollbox below!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, you have enough DSP. If you need to MTP and transcoding or conferencing, that depends on what the customer needs to do. Single site usually only need conferencing.

thank u . so for E1 to DSP mappining automatically happen right? im facing problem with E1. i try to type command controller on the config mode its not there. any idea?

If you have a vwic2 card, configure "card type" first.

As a recognition to those providing answers, please rate useful posts with the scrollbox below!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: