cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I find out what port I am on, on a 4509

eputman
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to find out how I can display what port I am on when telneted into my 4509

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I understand what you mean. Normally that should be planned out and patched back to the switch with some descriptive notations.

If you don't know what port you are on then ya, you have to figure it out by seeing what MAC is on what switchport. Hope this has helped and please rate if so. If you have any other questions just reply back.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

eputman
Level 1
Level 1

Forgot to ask what is the command. Thanks.

mattcalderon
Level 4
Level 4

issue the command "show user" to see where you are coming from. Look at the vty line in show user. Also you can use "show line"

how do you see what port on the 4509 I am on example: fastethernet 0/22

look for your MAC on your PC. Once you have discovered your MAC you need to trace it down using the command " show mac-address-table" you can filter the output by doing "show mac-address table | begin xxxx" Insert the last four of your MAC in to search that way.

So there is no way to just plug into a port on the wall and do a sh port? Yo uhave to do that whole command?

so you know what port you are in then right? Ok I was thinking that you did not know what port you are plugged into. You can do a "sh run interface fa0/22" to see the configuration or a "sh ip interface brief" to see the up/down status of the port.

Hope this clears some things up.

That "sh ip interface brief" command is awesome I can can use that!! thanks.

But back to the port thing I don't know what port I am on so I guess I will have to do the sh mac-address-table command then huh?

My goal is to put a discription on each port on the 4509 but i have no idea where the wall jack connects to the 4509? you understand?

I understand what you mean. Normally that should be planned out and patched back to the switch with some descriptive notations.

If you don't know what port you are on then ya, you have to figure it out by seeing what MAC is on what switchport. Hope this has helped and please rate if so. If you have any other questions just reply back.

Yes that will do, crap! the long way around oh well it will keep me busy for a long time!! LOL Thank you for your help!!

Hey matt that sh mac-address-table | begin brings up the whole mac table not just mine can you help me out/

Issue the command "sh mac-address-table address | inc " or you could simply do "sh mac-address-table address | inc " but this will probably give you multiple results so I suggest doing the first command.

Please rate if it helps.

Thanks.

searching for the mac address and including the decimal prefix will get you a lock on your mac.

so if my mac is aaaa.bbbb.cccc i would do

show mac add | inc .cccc

searching for the mac address and including the decimal prefix will get you a lock on your mac.

so if my mac is aaaa.bbbb.cccc i would do,

show mac add | inc .cccc

Lets say a machine is having a mac-address 0002.a563.670c

then do show mac-address-table | i 0002.a563.670c

e.g

Switch#show mac-address-table | i 0002.a563.670c

0002.a563.670c Dynamic 325 FastEthernet0/3

or

C3BS1#show mac-address-table address 0002.a563.670c

Non-static Address Table:

Destination Address Address Type VLAN Destination Port

------------------- ------------ ---- --------------------

0002.a563.670c Dynamic 325 FastEthernet0/3

By seeing the above results we can say the machine having mac 0002.a563.670c is connected to FastEthernet0/3

Hope it will help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: