cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IGMP join-group vs static-group

izackvail
Level 1
Level 1

I am having difficulty understanding what the difference is between these 2 commands. All the docs that I read say that they both allow the router to forward multicast packets but the "join-group" command will actually cause the router to accept the packets. Can anyone help me understand what is meant exactly by "accept" the packets?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

harold,

I just need to clarify something.

when igmp-join is used, would this be more cpu taxing if testing high volume of multicast. and in which case, should be used with caution.

TIA

Sam

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Izack,

"ip igmp static-group" configures a static connected member for a specific group. Traffic to that group will be fast-switched to the interface where this comamnd is configured rather than process switched. This command is usually used to forward mcast traffic down an interface.

"ip igmp join-group" causes the router to send an IGMP membership report on the interface where it is configured. The mcast packets will therefore be received and process switched by the router. This command is usually used for test purposes.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

harold,

I just need to clarify something.

when igmp-join is used, would this be more cpu taxing if testing high volume of multicast. and in which case, should be used with caution.

TIA

Sam

Sam,

Good point. I certainly wouldn't recommend using that command to enable a receiver for a multicast group with high bandwidth stream.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thank you for your response, that helps out a lot. I am still a little confused why a router would process a multicast packet? You mentioned it is for testing but is that the sole purpose of the command join-group? When the router processes the multicast packet what is really happening?

Izack,

It could be as simple as pinging a multicast group from a given source and the router on which the "ip igmp join-group" is configured for that same group will respond to that ping. I often seen that as an easy way to test a new multicast network.

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks again Harold. The join-group sounds to me like a command reserved mostly for a lab environment. It sounds like there isn't much practical use for it besides simulating a multicast source.

Izack,

In your last statement you say simulating multicast source but this command rather simulate a multicast receiver.

I would tend to disagree with you last statement. Although I agree that one wouldn't use this command to perform capacity testing, I have used it many times in the past to perform functional tests and troubleshoot new multicast networks and it has helped me tremendously as it creates receivers without having to involved any workstations and requires very little configuration.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card