cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Overriding Bounceback Ver. for Selected Third Party Senders

DoughKnees
Level 1
Level 1

We are happily using bounceback verification. However, we have a group here that has hired a third party to send out survey emails for them. We would like the undeliverables from these mailings to come back to us.

Has anyone successfully configured this? At Ironport's suggestion, I have created a mail flow policy that accepts untagged bounces. Then I created a sender group that uses this policy and added the 3rd party's IP as the sender. I put this sender group 2nd in the list (if that matters) after Whitelist but above Blacklist, suspectlist, etc. However, the untagged test undeliverable still does not come back through.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sparky

3 Replies 3

andrea.murari
Level 1
Level 1

If your 3rd party send out to anyone, bounces will come back to you from any server, not just 3rd party's one.
If that's true, your configuration will not work since you accept untagged bounces only from 3rd party SMTP server.
If the e-mail address used by the 3rd party is unique, you could try setting up bounce verification not to reject invalid bounces but only to mark them with a custom header and then apply a message filter that checks for that header and then drops failed bounces unless they are sent to the survey email address.

kluu_ironport
Level 2
Level 2

Everything you've done by adding a customized Sendergroup/Mail flow policy(ie. Accept-Untagged-Bounces-Sendergroup) is fine.

More than likely, the IP, hostname, or partial hostname that you entered is not matching against those undeliverables that are coming back. See if you can obtain any of those undeliverables and see what IP / hostname it is when it makes contact with the Ironport appliance.

Also, you can try search for the IP address that you entered in for those customized sendergroups.

On the command line of your ironport appliance, type this:

grep -i "IP_Address" mail_logs

If they connect, you should see their IP addresses with respect to ICID's.

ICID's represent when outgoing servers connect to your Ironport appliance.

Here is an example of what it may look like:

Tue May 13 13:29:53 2008 Info: New SMTP ICID 4 interface Management (74.201.91.95) address 10.251.0.73 reverse dns host bungalow.sfo.ironport.com verified yes
Tue May 13 13:29:53 2008 Info: ICID 4 REJECT SG BLACKLIST match test.ironport.com SBRS None

then type this:

grep -i "ICID 4" mail_logs to get more information.

Feel free to paste back when you get from the logs and I'll help analyze.

We are happily using bounceback verification.  However, we have a group here that has hired a third party to send out survey emails for them.  We would like the undeliverables from these mailings to come back to us.  

Has anyone successfully configured this? At Ironport's suggestion, I have created a mail flow policy that accepts untagged bounces. Then I created a sender group that uses this policy and added the 3rd party's IP as the sender. I put this sender group 2nd in the list (if that matters) after Whitelist but above Blacklist, suspectlist, etc. However, the untagged test undeliverable still does not come back through.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sparky

DoughKnees
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the replies. According to Ironport support, what I want to do is not actually possible.

We're going to work around it by having the 3rd party email out using a sub-domain with a different MX record that points to a Sendmail server that will then route back to our Domino systems. It's not elegant but it works.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: