Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM errors in cisco works lms

mkareemashraf
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All

Recently we have started evaluating the Ciscoworks LMS 3.0.1 Product to replace our existing NMS including BMC Visualis (fault management), which we finally decided to shutdown after numerous errors/database failures etc.

We have successfully installed CiscoWorks and added all of our devices in its database. We are having some issue with the topology services diagrams.

Whenever we select any device from the Topology Service Graphical View(s) and start troubleshooting, for example if we shutdown a switch's uplink manually to test the DFM component, the changes are not reflected immediately on the graph, we have to perform Data collection by right clicking the device every time.

Can anyone please help us on how to tweak the CiscoWorks settings so that the Topology Services Diagrams in CiscoWorks are updated automatically from GREEN/RED color and vice versa in case of failures/linkups ? Also will be there any performance impact by changing such a setting (if any exists) in terms of the CiscoWorks CPU/memory/database utilization etc.?

Really appreciate your help and useful pointers.

Regards

Ashraf

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Campus Manager is not a fault management tool. By default, it will update nodes on the map every two hours. You can add certain devices (i.e. no more than 30) to the critical devices poller. By default, those devices will be polled for changes every 5 minutes. This can be done by right-clicking on the devices on the map or in the N-Hop portlet.

The next release of LMS, 3.1 due out in June, will have some integration between Campus and DFM. The Campus map will show related DFM alerts for devices. The devices will still not turn red immediately, but you will ne able to see which ones have current alerts in DFM.

Thanks a lot for your clarification. Please note that even when we added both our core switches and the concerned access-layer switch to the Critical Poller (by right clicking the device) the device/links never went red even after one hour (left alone 5 minutes), can you please help us with that? I manually shutdown the interface connecting the access-layer device to the Core Switch (Uplink)

Also is there any offering from Cisco or any of its partners that can provide FM features in a graphical output for our network, similar to BMC Patrol Visualis? As per your earlier reply, this is not possible in CiscoWorks LMS.

Regards

ashraf

I would first check what your critical polling time is. By default this is 5 minutes, but it might have been changed. This can be done under Campus Manager > Admin > Data Collection > Device Poller.

There are no general Cisco management applications which do graphical fault management. However, HPOV Network Node Manager does this. It also sounds like you're very familiar and happy with BMC. if it was doing what you wanted, why did you move away from it?

Thanks once again for your prompt responses.

As my colleague mentioned earlier:

"Recently we have started evaluating the Ciscoworks LMS 3.0.1 Product to replace our existing NMS including BMC Visualis (fault management), which we finally decided to shutdown after numerous errors/database failures etc. "

So the reason for shutting down BMC is already mentioned before. We are looking for a product that is reliable at fault management. I have seen heard numerous people shutting down HPOV for similar reasons so have my reservations about that too.

I've just checked the polling value you mentioned, and it is set to the default (5 mins for Critical Devices). Also clicked on 'Show Devices' and verified four devices (two core switches and two access layer switches used for testing are part of 'Critical Polling'.

Can you please let us know what else could go wrong here? Thanks

Farrukh

Thanks once again for your prompt responses.

As my colleague mentioned earlier:

"Recently we have started evaluating the Ciscoworks LMS 3.0.1 Product to replace our existing NMS including BMC Visualis (fault management), which we finally decided to shutdown after numerous errors/database failures etc. "

So the reason for shutting down BMC is already mentioned before. We are looking for a product that is reliable at fault management. I have seen heard numerous people shutting down HPOV for similar reasons so have my reservations about that too.

I've just checked the polling value you mentioned, and it is set to the default (5 mins for Critical Devices). Also clicked on 'Show Devices' and verified four devices (two core switches and two access layer switches used for testing are part of 'Critical Polling'.

Can you please let us know what else could go wrong here? Thanks

Farrukh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: