Need to get some understanding on L2 l L3 Vlan

Unanswered Question
May 11th, 2008

Hi Friends,

I have a doubt, if it seems very simple question plz forgive: )

I have a LAN setup with few cisco 3750 switches, where i am using VTP mode as Transparent.

What will happend If i create a L3 Vlan SVI interface with out creating L2 on the switch.

What is the difference in creating L3 Vlan with L2 and with out L2 ?

Please can any one take some effort to brief me about this..

Thanks a lot

Regards

Jacob

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
JORGE RODRIGUEZ Sun, 05/11/2008 - 14:45

Jacob,

When you create an SVI interface because is a virtual interface without any physical associations, at least you must have one L2 VLAN created for it with a connected device or host on a switchport to associate it with that newly created SVI interface in order for the SVI interface to be fully up and functional. A virtual SVI interface without any L2 vlan association in a switchport will just be an idle SVI interface, this would be the case when no L2 VLAN is associated with L3 interface the expected output of " show ip interface brief " for the SVI will be Up/Down.

What is the difference in creating L3 Vlan with L2 and with out L2 ?

Same as above answer, once you create L2 VLAN in vlan database and connect a device or host on a switchport that will bellong to L3 SVI network that you have created, the SVI interface will be a fully functional as well as fully routable and be able to route between any other L3 interfaces or SVI you have similarly created.

HTH

-Jorge

Actions

This Discussion