cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Placing Router in a LAN

bava_ccna
Level 1
Level 1

Whare do i keep the router in my LAN(ie..In beetween brocast domain or ...)

Cheers

Bava

5 Replies 5

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

HI

it depends upon u r scenario,but u have to place it any of the broacast domain and that router is going to divide u r brodcast domain.

Thanks

Mahmood

If i dont want to break my broadcast domain then where do i place it in my LAN

Cheers

Ahamed Bava

Hi

if u dont want to divide u r network in different broadcast domains then u can place it where ever u want and again it depends upon u r requirement n what u r trying to achieve.

Thanks

Mahmood

Hi

i am just using the router to connect my remote office...now tell me where do i place it exactly

Thanks

Bava

ok. The answer to this can be obtained by a practical approach rather than theoretical. Router is used for connecting different subnets & allowing communication between them. however, L3 switch can also do the same thing. the catch here is that there has to be some connectivity between your main office & remote-office or other branches. This connectivity is terminated on the router. Thus router is said to be sitting at the edge of the enterprise.

So, in your case the 1 interface of the router would be connecting to the link from remote-office & the other interface to the local LAN. This can be either the default vlan or any other special vlan from whose Ip address poool the IP is assigned to router fstethernet interface.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: