Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Connect Router to the Internet

newnetman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

This question was asked sometimes ago without any assistance received. May i therefore once again appeal to anyone who is able to help to please take the pain to put me through, this will greatly aid my studies. My routers are fully loaded 3640s and 2611XM.

Thank you all in advance

3 Replies 3

graemeporter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Can you tell me what you mean by "fully loaded" 3640s and 2611XM? How many of each type of router do you have, and what interfaces do you have in them?

What kind of internet connection do you have? DSL, Frame Relay, T1/E1, ISDN (etc)?

We really need more information before we can help you at all.

Kind regards,

Graeme

Hello,

Thanks to your response to my question.

I mean the routers are with maximum RAM and FLASH. My internet connection is ADSL.

Please be informed that i do not have any idea as to how connecting a router to the internet is made, but will be willing to have it done to aid my studies.

regards

OK; that's a good start. You've got routers that are capable of running the latest IOS releases (if they are maxed out on both RAM and Flash).

Now since neither the 3640 nor the 2611XM have any built-in means of connecting to an ADSL line, so you will need to do one of three things:

1) Buy an ADSL WIC to fit into one of your routers. The card to look for is a WIC-1ADSL= but these can be expensive.

2) Buy a small office/home office (SOHO) Cisco router which has a DSL interface as its WAN interface.

I went down this route, buying a Cisco 827 (I would recommend the 837 or 857 instead, as they are switched on their inside interfaces, not just hubs) - the commands to configure the WAN interface on these small routers is the same as they are on the 2600-series routers (and these can use RIP, so you can advertise your internet route back to your other routers) so you get the same experience.

3) Connect your Cisco router to an ISP-supplied DSL router via 10/100 Ethernet. This is good if you've already got a working internet setup at home, and don't want to mess with it. Troubleshooting connection problems with these is easier as the ISP will typically support the devices they supply (whereas they might not support a Cisco router with DSL interface). Some are more basic than others, but some support SNMP, routing protocols, QoS, etc.

Any of the above will give your Cisco routers a means to connect - you just need to work out the configuration on the routers. Depending on your setup, I (or someone else on these forums) may be able to help you if you have any issues configuring your routers.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Graeme

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card