cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Deleting stuck SNMP v3 user

mark.doyle
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 4510 chassis with SNMP v3 and when I do sh snmp user I see two identical users with different engine IDs, one right, one wrong.

The switch was originally built with a copied config, and when we rebuilt snmp with a different engine we noticed that a user with the old engine ID still shows up in sh snmp user. This is causing us some grief with a network monitoring application that is seeing the same engine ID on two switches now.

Any ideas on how to get rid of the snmp user of the now-defunct engine?

We've tried rebuilding snmp again from scratch (no snmp-server, etc) already. No luck.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You will need to reload to completely clear out the deleted SNMP configuration.

Thanks, that cleared it.

Kovax
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

After pulling out half of my hair, one of our team member found the solution:

When you do any configuration to an snmp-user, the device will only configure the user with the actual snmp engineID.

For example:

1. You have the default engineID
2. You create a new SNMP user -> user will be bound to that engineID, what was set during the creation
3. You change the engineID
4. You create a new SNMP user with the same nem -> the user will be bound to the new engineID and you will see the same user 2 times
5. You try to delete the old user, but no luck, it looks like it's stuck -> you start to pull out your hair

So to delete the user with the old engineID, you need to switch back the original engineID with:
snmp-server engineid local <original> 
no snmp-server user USER GROUP VERSION